New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion upgrade questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamesfarrow

jamesfarrow is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone! Got my iMac bout 6 months ago and thus far I am more than pleased with it! My OS X experience is limited but growing... Anyway my question is - I have lots of photos, videos of the bairns and other general media etc on the iMac and I am using Time Machine to back it all up. When Lion is released I would like to upgrade but do a fresh install, erasing the HDD. Basically how do I go about erasing my HDD, installing Lion, and then restoring from Time Machine so my iMac is as it was, but with Lion as the OS!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Right now since Lion is still not released, we no nothing about how it will install. Some are saying most will download it from the App store.

Wait till Lion is released this summer and someone gets to try it then ask your question again as at this point, no one really knows especially about installing it. It maybe very different from OSX over the last few years.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You would boot the machine with the Lion DVD, use Disk Utility to erase and prepare the drive by formatting it. Then proceed to install Lion. During the install, you'll be asked if you wish to restore from backup. Make sure the external drive with the TM backup is attached and respond yes. The TM backup will recover your data.

However, there's really no reason to do a fresh install as Lion will likely be able to upgrade right over the top of Snow Leopard. We don't know that yet. We'll have to wait until Lion is released to find out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it time for a new Mac? | Mac-windows lan network »