OSX hard drive switch - G5 PPC
    I have a G5 tower, with two internal drives. I use one as a partitioned drive (for ProTools sessions/iTunes music/misc storage). The original drive of the computer is still running the OS. I just realized that my larger storage drive is newer and 2x faster. SO can I switch the OS to the newer drive for better performance? What is the best way to make the switch?

I unfortunately do not have any space/external drives to back up what's on either drive. I was hoping to keep all data in tact.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-JD

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The only way to make the larger drive bootable and use it as your primary is to install OS X on it from your original media or clone from the other drive. Since you wish to keep all your data intact, that's going to require an additional drive to use as backup. You should be backing your data anyway so now might be a good time to invest in a large external drive. They're certainly reasonably priced.

How about this program called SuperDuper? It's for cloning/backing up drives... I have enough space to copy all of my data into one partition on the newer drive. Do you know if I can I set an empty partition on the newer drive as the startup disc using SuperDuper?

Thanks

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    If you use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate a drive, I believe it will overwrite what data is on the drive you're cloning to. I don't know if SuperDuper has an option to do a limited clone to a specified partition as I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do my clone backups. I know that CCC will overwrite the entire drive.

I still think the best and safest method for you to use is to buy a large external hard drive and use it to do the copying and later on, backups.

Thread Information