New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Screen is Dark

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rkjmlj

rkjmlj is on a distinguished road

I can still see the screen but it dark. Everything else is functioning properly. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
rkjmlj

Operating System OS 10.6.7
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Assuming it stays dark even on booting up… defective graphics card, defective monitor, or the monitor is not plugged in/turned on.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rkjmlj

Sorry I didn't explain that very well. The screen looks like it does when you are not actively using the computer but you are not away long enough for the screen saver to come on. I am using the computer. It looks like all you need to do is move the mouse and the screen will be bright but that doesn't happen when I move it. Could the mouse be defective? It still works except for that function.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjmlj View Post
Sorry I didn't explain that very well. The screen looks like it does when you are not actively using the computer but you are not away long enough for the screen saver to come on. I am using the computer. It looks like all you need to do is move the mouse and the screen will be bright but that doesn't happen when I move it. Could the mouse be defective? It still works except for that function.

Thanks.
Sounds like you may just need to go in to "Display" options inside System Preferences and adjust brightness settings.

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy90 View Post
Sounds like you may just need to go in to "Display" options inside System Preferences and adjust brightness settings.
Ditto on that. The F1-F2 keys also control that function.

BTW… does the screen actually get even darker when left along long enough?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rkjmlj

That worked. Thank you so much. You made my day!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dropbox and app preferences | Custom Login Window »