New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How Do You "Uninstall" Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eaglesclaw121

eaglesclaw121 is on a distinguished road

I accidentally downloaded something called "Mac Security", an antivirus thing for the Mac. I want to get it trashed but each time I hit empty trash, I get a message saying I can't because something called "myriadpro.semiboldt.otf" is in use. I can't find this anywhere on my computer and want to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
eaglesclaw121

eaglesclaw121 is on a distinguished road

I accidentally installed something called "mac security" - the small red symbol is just sitting there staring at me and I want to get rid of this - I'm a newbie -please help
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Most applications can be simply thrown into the Trash. The exception to this (generally) is applications that were installed with an installer. If you used an installer, check the disk image (dmg) that you downloaded to see if there is an included uninstaller. If there isn't one, it might be worth checking the website of the app to see if there are specific instructions.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@eaglesclaw121

Why are you double posting? Only post once with the same subject or question and continue posting back to the same thread. Your cooperation is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Or, do a Finder search for all files named "mac security" AND the company who wrote it (find that from their website). Search using this method, and delete everything you find.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Trust it was not MACDefender. Do a search of the forums on how to remove.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Myriad Pro Semibold is a font, so you may not be able to trash it because the system has still loaded the font in some way.

Try rebooting and then empty the trash, or use the force empty trash command and see if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You're apparently not the only one having this issue:

mac security?!?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Quotes... | SMB on NAS »