When Lion is released....
    I have a February, 2011 MBP and intend to pickup a new iMac desktop this Friday. If I want Lion on my two Apple computers will I have to purchase two sets of Lion disks or will one set work for both computers?
    Bill
    2011-MBP-15 inch-200-8 gigs of ram.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    I have a February, 2011 MBP and intend to pickup a new iMac desktop this Friday. If I want Lion on my two Apple computers will I have to purchase two sets of Lion disks or will one set work for both computers?
    Bill
    Mac OS 10.7 "Lion" hasn't even been released yet!!!

But when it is released (depending on how Apple intends on releasing it...DVD or electronic download)...you will either need 2 single user licenses...or a 5-user "Family Pack" (if Apple still offers this for Lion).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Yes but that would be breaking the terms of the EULA. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by thurstmw View Post
    If history tell us anything one disk will work for as many installs as you want. But maybe they will try to tighten up security.
    Except that this is a violation of Apple's EULA (End User License Agreement)...and thus not a valid use of an OS X install disk.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by thurstmw View Post
    If history tell us anything one disk will work for as many installs as you want. But maybe they will try to tighten up security.
    If history tells us anything, it's attitudes like this that will force Apple's hand to move the direction of Adobe and Microsoft requiring product keys and activation for everything.

I really don't believe Apple has a kext running in it's os that's called 'Don't Steal OSX' just for the fun of it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I really don't believe Apple has a kext running in it's os that's called 'Don't Steal OSX' just for the fun of it.
    It's amazing what that kext is responsible for - it is by no means a useless kernel extension. As per the Wikipedia article:
    The extension contains a kernel function called page_transform() which performs AES decryption of "apple-protected" programs. A Mac OS X system which is missing this extension, or a system where the extension has determined it's not running on Apple hardware, will be missing this decryption capability, and as a result will not be able to run the Apple-restricted binaries Dock, Finder, loginwindow, SystemUIServer, mds, ATSServer, translate, or translated.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    It's amazing what that kext is responsible for - it is by no means a useless kernel extension. As per the Wikipedia article:

Thanks for posting that Van. I was always interested but never thought to check.

Specs:
    No problem.

So I found out something else that's interesting about it. Apparently, in the older Intel versions of OS X (10.4 did this but it doesn't seem to work with 10.5 or 10.6), the kext would load a poem into a certain memory address. The poem read as follows:
    Your karma check for today:
    There once was a user that whined
    his existing OS was so blind,
    he'd do better to pirate
    an OS that ran great
    but found his hardware declined.
    Please don't steal Mac OS!
    Really, that's way uncool.
    (C) Apple Computer, Inc.
    This was done as Apple expected people to hack the Intel version to run on non-Apple hardware and they wanted to remind them of their agreed upon obligations when they agreed to the EULA.

Source.
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Mac OS 10.7 "Lion" hasn't even been released yet!!!

- Nick
    Not to labor the point but my thread heading reads "When Lion is released."
    I didn't realize the end user agreement prohibited using the disk on more than one computer. I'm not a pirate and appreciate the comments.
    Bill
    2011-MBP-15 inch-200-8 gigs of ram.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Bill, it's the same with Windows and any other OS or software. if it's a single license, you can run it on one machine. Apple has always gave the option of a Family Pack with up to 5 Licenses. Not sure if they are going to offer that with Lion of not. Time will tell.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    I didn't realize the end user agreement prohibited using the disk on more than one computer.
    In case you're interested, here is the part of the EULA that we are referring to:
    Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time.
    Source.
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information