New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

sync mutliple itunes with one iphone/copy from one itunes to another itunes library?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bamme

bamme is on a distinguished road

i use a work mac, and a home mac. my current itunes library is on my work mac. id like to be able to either:

a) use both itunes, each time i download music and add at home, i can then plug in and update the itunes at work and vice versa.

or if i cant do that, Id like to be able to

b) copy whats currently in my work itunes library across to my home itunes library, i.e. 'upload' from my iphone so to speak.

can someone tell me how to do either of a) or b) (whichever easiest?) i only found this: iClarified - iPhone - How to Sync Your iPhone With Multiple Computers and am unsure if that will give me either of the above as a result or if it is the best/easiest way, it looks pretty complicated.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Apple only allows you to sync your iPhone with one Library/machine, so doing either of the above really won't work.

QUOTE Thanks
bamme

so, i cant simply "upload" all the music on my iphone to a blank itunes (the one at home?) and use both itunes? if they both have same music on?

prob easier just to disable automatic syncing of the home itunes library.. but i miss my music when i am at home and want to play it..
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Apple only allows you to sync your iPhone with one Library/machine, so doing either of the above really won't work.
Not entirely true. Yes, you can only sync to one iTunes ACCOUNT at a time, you can, however, copy your library and files to up to 5 different computers.

I have my iTunes library on my work computer, my MBP and I will be installing it on my Mini (when I pick one up later this year). That will be 3 of my 5 allowed machines.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
bamme

This sounds a bit more logical Thanks Brad. Can i ask how i go about setting this stuff up?? Anyone got a link??
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Not entirely true. Yes, you can only sync to one iTunes ACCOUNT at a time, you can, however, copy your library and files to up to 5 different computers.

I have my iTunes library on my work computer, my MBP and I will be installing it on my Mini (when I pick one up later this year). That will be 3 of my 5 allowed machines.
I've never tried that. Seems like a lot of work to me. Then again I only have 2 machines to worry about.

The problem then is that you then have to ensure that both libraries match all the time. I guess if you have a small library this isn't an issue but as your library grows in size it'll become more and more difficult. I don't even try since my Macbook can't hold anywhere near the multi-terebyts that my main iTunes library at home has and I don't want to drag multiple external drives around with me on the road.

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I don't have any links off-hand, no. I run a custom script to keep the library files synced between my machines. It was easier when I had all Win7 machines, but some more scripting allowed me to also keep the MBP updated as well. My mind is fuddled today, so I cant see myself doing a step by step, but I am sure the info is actually on this site if you search.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help?? how to disable the service on IMAC 10.6 using command line??? | Standard vs Administrator accounts »