New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX 10.6.7 update problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thekris1234

Thekris1234 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB

Hi,

A couple of days ago my Macbook started playing up. I restarted it but when it came to logging on it would show my background but would then freeze with the mouse loading logo.

I tried restoring direct from time machine. The latest backup I had was before 10.6.7. After the restore I restarted and everything was fine. I then searched for updates, installed 10.6.7 and clicked restart. But the problem came back, background, no finder, no icons, loading mouse.

I then installed a fresh copy of Snow Leopard and copied all my stuff from time machine. Again the update showed and I installed it. You can guess what happened. Background, no icons, no finder, mouse loading.

How do I fix this? It will bot into safe mode perfectly. I've fixed the disk and permissions. Is there anything I can do?

If not can I take it to an Apple store and get one of the Mac Genius' to look at it? I've never done that before, so my first question is, does it cost?

Thanks in advance, I'm pulling my hair out here. I was up till 4am yesterday waiting for it to restore only to find it didn't work :@
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Instead of going with the automatic update, I would try going directly to the 10.6.7 combo update and seeing if that fixes it.
So, restore from your backup again, your backup before 10.6.7, and then download
Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo
QUOTE Thanks
Thekris1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Instead of going with the automatic update, I would try going directly to the 10.6.7 combo update and seeing if that fixes it.
So, restore from your backup again, your backup before 10.6.7, and then download
Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo
Hi.

I restored from the same backup. Now I can't even get in with that. I can boot to safe mode perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Try a fresh install, then the combo update, then Migration Assistant from your TM.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

If the issues keeps coming back after your restore your data, but it doesn't occur in safe mode or before the migration, then it's something in your user profile - a corrupt plist, a login item...

I would create a new user account, manually open the backup file and drag the files you need to from your backup to your hard drive. Work folder by folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Movies... when it comes to the Library folder, only copy over the bare minimum... your Safari folder, your Mail folder, Mozilla bookmarks if you use Firefox. Remember, if you miss anything, you can always go back and get it later, so better safe than sorry the first go around. Reboot, see if the issue persists.
QUOTE Thanks
Thekris1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
If the issues keeps coming back after your restore your data, but it doesn't occur in safe mode or before the migration, then it's something in your user profile - a corrupt plist, a login item...

I would create a new user account, manually open the backup file and drag the files you need to from your backup to your hard drive. Work folder by folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Movies... when it comes to the Library folder, only copy over the bare minimum... your Safari folder, your Mail folder, Mozilla bookmarks if you use Firefox. Remember, if you miss anything, you can always go back and get it later, so better safe than sorry the first go around. Reboot, see if the issue persists.
I tried making a new user but I had the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northrnchimp View Post
Try a fresh install, then the combo update, then Migration Assistant from your TM.
I've installed a fresh copy and updated. It now works. Do you think it's safe to use the migration assistant?
QUOTE Thanks
Thekris1234

OK. I've installed all my stuff EXCEPT settings. I restarted and it wouldn't load again.

So I went into safe mode, changed my background and deleted alot of files from my desktop. It now loads (although not as quick as i'd like) but i can deal with it.

Thanks for your help.

Ill post here again if i get any more problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD-RAM discs | PLEASE HELP - option key not working »