New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address" - error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gil_happy

gil_happy is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I recently purchased 2 brand new MACs... One MacBook Air, and the other an iMac.

When walking through the initial setup, I set up both machines with identical usernames, passwords, etc (I did this so that I can set up both machines so they will have identical content - one at home, the for traveling. I plan on setting up rsync to synchronize data).

Now it appears that setting both machines identically has caused a problem on my wireless network. I receive an error:

"Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address"

When I attempt to "Renew DHCP Lease", the IPv4 address is 169.x.x.x

I believe I'm getting this error because I have setup the 2 - Macs with the same name, password, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of what (and how) to change assuming my assumptions are correct (that the router runnnig DDWRT thinks there are 2 machines with the same info)?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are either or perhaps both of the Macs set to use manual DHCP addresses? If so that may be the issue. You should be able to change that setting without messing up other things you want to keep the same.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
gil_happy

Nope.. both should be set to DHCP as I never manually configured them for a static IP.
QUOTE Thanks
gil_happy

Looks like I figured it out.. my router was only setup to hand out 10 IP addresses (even though I have less than 10 devices), and was thinking they were all in use for some reason.

At any rate, increased the number of IPs in my router to 30, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks for posting the fix. I'll have to file that away for future referenced. I did not think if that because my network setup already has something similar in place. I told my primary router to use DHCP but to start assigning addresses where the last pair of digits is something like 20. This allows most of the network to get assigned a number automatically but a few devices can be assigned fixed numbers manually.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« do i have some sort of virus | drivers failing after software update? »