New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Complete Mac NOOB. Help getting started

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pastorjosh

pastorjosh is on a distinguished road

Ok, I just bought a 13" Macbook Air (used), and everything seems to work fine. This is my first jump into Mac, and so far so good.

I am trying to figure out how to change the user name on the system. It now reads "Joe Smoe's Macbook Air" and want to change that over to my own name. How do I go about changing how the system reads?

Thanks in advance for all the help, the previous owner lead me to this site, and you guys seem very helpful. Peace PJ
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The account name can be changed in  menu > System preferences > Accounts

The name of your mac on a network can be changes in  menu > System preferences > Sharing

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pastorjosh

Ok. I followed these intstructions, and it says my name and all at the accounts, but when I bring up the "about this mac" it still says previous owners name. Is there anyway I can change this?

Also is there anything else I need to do to the computer before I start using it heavily? It seems as if they have erased all of their information off of it, but I want to make sure. Thanks again!!

"Congratulations, you have won the battle of wits with a home appliance."
QUOTE Thanks
matruyo

matruyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjosh View Post
Ok. I followed these intstructions, and it says my name and all at the accounts, but when I bring up the "about this mac" it still says previous owners name. Is there anyway I can change this?

Also is there anything else I need to do to the computer before I start using it heavily? It seems as if they have erased all of their information off of it, but I want to make sure. Thanks again!!
go to system preferences>sharing.

on the top of that window you'll see a text box that says "Computer Name"

QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Go into System Prefs, Accounts, click the plus button at the bottom, and create a new account for yourself (tick 'allow user to administer this computer'), then logout (apple menu) and login to your new account, go back to Accounts, select the old account and delete it (the minus button at the bottom).
QUOTE Thanks
pastorjosh

Got it!!! Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help!

"Congratulations, you have won the battle of wits with a home appliance."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cloning ?? | /Volumes folder problem? Need a boot issue expert! »