New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Feels like slow motion!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Telters

Telters is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5

Hi there

I am on my MacBook Pro, 2010, 4GB RAM 13". Anyway, whenever I open a folder in my dock, it takes one minute (I timed), for it to actually show the contents. The swirly just keeps swirling in the bottom of the finder window.

Same with QuickLook. Whenever I hit spacebar, it takes a good 30 seconds for a preview to show up. My computer has been acting really slow lately...

Before I take it into Geniuses, is there anything I can do, or any way to explain this problem to them

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You could try repairing permissions through Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, also check under System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items to see what gets launched from startup and remove anything un-needed from there.
Other than that, if you do take it to the geniuses then explain it exactly to them as you have to us.

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Sounds kinda like a failing HDD. Check the SMART status and if that is all good if you have another HDD lying around which you could try in it that might be a good idea.
QUOTE Thanks
Telters

Telters is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5

Thanks!

How do I check the SMART status?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You can use an app like this below, I run it all the time, it can pre-warn you of a failing drive before it happens!
SMARTReporter for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Download either MainMenu 1.7.4 Free or Oynx ~ Titanium Software and you need to give it a good clean. Even sounds like you need to Re-index spotlight which will mean to run ALL maintenance scripts.
It might take a while as re-indexing spotlight if you have a lot on your HD will take the longest.

If you dl MM DONT upgrade as it will take you to a paid version, and if you dl Oynx make sure its for your OS or you will have more troubles than not.
I like and own the latest MM and its a great tool to have. . . . . . Something to try anyways.
These 2 Apps go a lot deeper than the DU in the Utilities folder. Yes its good but just doesnt cut it for problems like yours

Cheers and good luck

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Its the hard drive, I have the same computer and it did the exact same thing i tried a restore and everything possible and it was still slow. I took it to the apple store and they gave me a new drive and had it back in 3 days.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You can use Disk Utility to test the SMART status. It isn't as thorough as some utilities but can be a good starting point. check this article for directions ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help me! | Will plugging in a firewire 800 cord make a firewire 400 external hard drive go fast? »