New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

upgrading macmini from tiger to leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mufngruf

mufngruf is on a distinguished road

so, I bought a used mini (1.83 core duo) running with 2GB of Ram and a newly installed 500~GB hard drive.... and tiger installation disks.
My imac leopard installation disks don't work... either directly or restored onto an external drive.
so - without going onto the black market, can I buy some kind of upgrade from Apple or do I have to buy a set of disks at full retail - and how much would they be?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Since you have a"core duo" Mac-Mini...why not just upgrade to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

because I don't have the disks - except for those which work with my imac.. but won't work with the mini
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufngruf View Post
because I don't have the disks - except for those which work with my imac.. but won't work with the mini
You don't seem to have a working 10.5 Leopard install disc either!

So if choosing which install discs to buy (10.5 "Leopard" or 10.6 "Snow Leopard")...why not go for the latest version (10.6)...10.6 is less expensive as well.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The 10.5 DVD's that came with your iMac will not work on your Mini. They only will install with an iMac of the same basic specs as yours. You will have to purchase 10.5 or 10.6, so like Nick said, why not go with 10.6? I have a Mini like yours with 10.6 and it flies. Works great and much quicker boot and shutdown than with 10.5.
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

Thanks for the help folks but, the question was,
"can I buy some kind of upgrade from Apple or do I have to buy a set of disks at full retail - and how much would they be? "
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

OFFS.

Snow Leopard costs $30. Just get Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

well thanks for that - but now I have a much different problem. I have managed to upgrade to Snow leopard via a oartition/external combo - but now I have no audio... not even the option of audio.
Apparently this is a problem with upgrading these mini thingies to Snow... anyone have an opinion on this?

PS where do I get Snow for $30 - or the UK equivalent?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have that same Mini and the audio works fine in Snow Leopard. Not sure in the UK.

What Snow Leopard did you install? If it was from a DVD for another Mac that is why you have no audio. You said you installed from a partition/external combo. Where did that install come from?

I have personally upgraded 3 1.66 Mini's with the $29 Snow Leopard DVD and all worked perfectly. Audio, Video, everything.
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

apparently it's a hardware issue - I went back and wiped the drive and reinstalled the tiger disks that came with the mini and still no audio. I suspect that the goon that did the drive upgrade hasn't reseated the cable properly (or worse, cracked the soundcard).. sheesh...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Let me check my manual. By sound are you talking the internal speaker or the jacks in back are dead also? I have the service manual. There is one small plug that has to be plugged back in.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading 10.3.9 OS to 10.4 or 10.5 | Creating and organizing user accounts »