New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trouble with updates

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cal30M1

Cal30M1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 3.06 GHz intel core i3 4 GB Ram

Hi all,

I have an imac 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 4 GB Ram 1333 MHz DDR3 running OS X Version 10.6.7. Purchased new September 2010.

My problem. I cannot download any software updates unless it is from Mac. Will not download Firefox update 4.0.1 or the latest OpenOffice update.

For OpenOffice is says to the effect the update failed and I need to do it manually. I do not understand computers that well, that is why I thought a mac would be best for me. However, I cannot seem to get this machine to update. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

FWIW, I am connected via cable modem with 30MBps download speeds.

Thanx, Cal30

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
QUOTE Thanks
Cal30M1

***UPDATE*** Now when I go into OpenOffice and click on "check for updates" it now says "Checking for updates failed" within 2 seconds. Can't even check anymore. ???

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Do you have your firewall set to "On"? To check this go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall. If it is on then turn it off as there really isn't any need for it anyway and is the reason Apple ships it's products with it turned off by default.
Post back the outcome.

Cheers
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Cal30M1

The firewall was on. I shut it off and rebooted the computer. 4 mac related updates installed fine. I went back into OpenOffice and clicked on check updates and it still fails. Fails to even check let alone attempt to download anything. Thanx for your help.

QUOTE Thanks
Cal30M1

***UPDATE*** I got Firefox to update. On the top status bar I clicked Firefox > About Firefox. A dialog box opened which again said there was an update available. Clicking took me to the Firefox site where I downloaded the newest version. I guess this is the manual download my imac was telling me I needed to do. I'll figure out OpenOffice at some point.

Question, is it normal to have to drag the old Firefox icon from the task bar to the trash and then manually move the newer icon from the Application folder to the task bar?

Not trying to be a smart ***** here so please do not misinterpret my intent, but all this was much easier on my wife's Windows laptop. This tells me I am doing newbie dumb things or doing it all the hard way. Any and all advice would be much appreciated as I have been having a rough learning curve with this imac after 20 years on WIN.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading to Snow Leopard | disc clean up »