New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cloning ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mellow_D

Mellow_D is on a distinguished road

Hello peoples,

I have a question for you guys. Well, it's a somewhat multi-faceted question. As simply as I can put it: 1) what's the best cloning tool for creating "master" images to roll out to dissimilar hardware, and 2) what, if any, special considerations need to be taken to minimize headache and hassle when cloning an image to said dissimilar hardware ie. bizarre hiccups / inconsistent behavior that are coming about as a result of the cloning process

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

OS X Server's system image utility.

ASR (Apple Software Restore) is good too but requires much more knowledge.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That should be possible with most cloning tools though many find SuperDuper the easiest to use. Unless ASR is much more useable than the last time I tried it SuperDuper has it beat hands down there.

I have not tried what you suggest but there are a couple of things that should increase the probability of success:

1. Start with a clean install onto an external hard drive.
2. When you update the base installation do not use Software Update. This could conceivably add components only used by that specific machine. Use the appropriate Combo Updater. Always use this type updater to update your clone.
3. When you use your drive to restore a Mac always run Software Update after you have booted the system from its internal drive. This way you catch the updates for that specific machine.

BTW when you make the initial clone make sure to boot from it at least once just to test things. I made a clone once that turned out to be useless when I needed it. At the login screen it refused to accept my password.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Mellow_D

Mellow_D is on a distinguished road

You guys rock!

Thanks for all your input. you have helped me tremendously.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating and organizing user accounts | Complete Mac NOOB. Help getting started »