New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Recent, almost sudden slowdown...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kelseyal

kelseyal is on a distinguished road

Earlier in the week I've noticed that my imac has been hit with a general slowdown coupled with errant hangups and beachballs-a-plenty. I'm into my fourth day of combatting this with hard drive cleans, downloaded cleaning software, and endless trouble shooting. I'm worried I may have to break down and buy Show Leopard (I am currently running tiger) or add the 1 GB more memory that my computer will support but I figured that I would give it one last try to fix.

The hangups seem to happen at set intervals. As in, my computer will function fine for 2 mins and then have a 1 min hang up before being fine again for another two mins. It's a very odd schedule and like I said, earlier this week there were no problems at all. I could watch Hulu, video chat, anything with nothing out of the ordinary load times. But now anything over 30s of video requires at least two to three major hang ups. Thank you for any help at all. Here are the stats:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4

HD:
232.57 GB
142.43 used
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Those symptoms sound like an imminent hardware failure - can't be sure of which: RAM, hard drive, power supply or motherboard. You should be using every running moment to back up your files - ASAP.
Easiest troubleshooting to do - try reseating RAM.
Then also look at diagnostic LED lights.
How do I locate the diagnotic led lights on an Intel 17"? - iMac Intel 17" - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« disc clean up | how to remove this error? »