Bought used Macbook without disks ,how to degrade ofter Snow Leopard upgrade...
    Hi guys,

I just bought a 2009 Macbook pro (13" , 2.26MHZ ,2GB) from ebay and I will be getting it in the next couple of days.It comes without any installation disks with 10.5 leopard already installed.

And I found out that it is possible to upgrade to Snow leopard by just buying a copy from amazom for 22. Although I have few questions.

1. I don't know whether my laptop has got a genuine copy of leopard (I hope it is). If not, is it still possible to upgrade to SL from the 22 amazon disks?

2. Is it possible to create a recovery disk from the current installation ?

3. If I decide to go back to 10.5 ,can I do it without buying a new copy of 10.5? can I borrow 10.5 from somebody else ?

4. 10.5 costs around 150 vs 10.6 costs 22 ,Why is older version expensive than 10.6? I thought it should be the other way around.

This is my first OS x experience .I've been PC user for all this time.

thanks in advance

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by mini998 View Post
    Hi guys,

I just bought a 2009 Macbook pro (13" , 2.26MHZ ,2GB) from ebay and I will be getting it in the next couple of days.It comes without any installation disks with 10.5 leopard already installed.

And I found out that it is possible to upgrade to Snow leopard by just buying a copy from amazom for 22. Although I have few questions.

1. I don't know whether my laptop has got a genuine copy of leopard (I hope it is). If not, is it still possible to upgrade to SL from the 22 amazon disks?
    It will be a genuine copy of Leopard. Guaranteed so it will be possible to upgrade

2. Is it possible to create a recovery disk from the current installation ?
    Yes if you download either SuperDuper or CCC ~ CarbonCopyCloner and you can make a bootable backup to a ExtHDD or you can use the TimeMachine thats on the Mac and do a system backup.

3. If I decide to go back to 10.5 ,can I do it without buying a new copy of 10.5? can I borrow 10.5 from somebody else ?
    You have to ring Apple and ask for the machine specific disks. Then they will send you the correct disks for your machine or go and buy the retail Leopard as you mention in the question below. So basically no you cant borrow from others as there install disks will be Machine specific ...

4. 10.5 costs around 150 vs 10.6 costs 22 ,Why is older version expensive than 10.6? I thought it should be the other way around.

This is my first OS x experience .I've been PC user for all this time.
    The reason being is SL was basically a upgrade where as Leopard was a new OS completely. When 10.7 Lion come out it will most definitely be as expensive as Leopard as its a new OS. In a nutshell

Hope it helps some

Cheers

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

The reason being is SL was basically a upgrade where as Leopard was a new OS completely. When 10.7 Lion come out it will most definitely be as expensive as Leopard as its a new OS. In a nutshell
    Thanks for the reply ,

So is it possible to install SL on a clean Hard drive without having 10.5 already installed?

I intend to upgrade the hard drive from 160 to 500 GB.

cheers

I just recieved my macbook pro. It is in really good condition ,I'm thriilled as this is my first mac experience.I got few more questions

1.This came with 10.6.5 already installed ,but I would like to format the Hard drive and do a clean install of snow leopard .Since I am willing to buy Snow leopard from amazon ,do I still have to bother contacting Apple to get replacement grey disks?

2.Does SL comes with all the drivers

cheers

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    No just run with the SL disc. And yes all drivers are included.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    No just run with the SL disc. And yes all drivers are included.
    Thanks ,
    Just ordered a SL disk .Hope everything will go fine .

ps.

Multitouch trackpad rockz

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    If you do have any issues just let us know.

Just an update this

Ended up ordering the replacement disks from Apple and returing the SL to amazon.

If some one else is interested on the prices-
    It cost 36 for OS CD and application (ilife 9) CD.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Just an update this

Ended up ordering the replacement disks from Apple and returing the SL to amazon.

If some one else is interested on the prices-
    It cost 36 for OS CD and application (ilife 9) CD.
    Congrats. Let us know how it all goes and if you have any other Mac problems be sure to return and start another thread in the appropriate forum.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information