New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yosehb

yosehb is on a distinguished road

I'm finally trying to upgrade my Mac OS, and I'm having some problems. I was under the impression that it would be an easy and work seamlessly.

At the "Install Mac OS X" screen, it asks me to select the disk I want to install to. I want to install on my internal HD, but I get an exclamation point icon on my HD.

It is asking me to repartition my disk using "Guid Partition Table" and I would lose all my data. I thought I would be able to upgrade OS and keep all of my data.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

What spec Mac are you running?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

An OS upgrade doesn't usually ask you to partition your HD. Is your HD currently partitioned (before the OS 10.6 upgrade)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
yosehb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
What spec Mac are you running?
First Generation Macbook

Mac OS X 10.4.11
1.83 Ghz Intel Core Due
2 GB of RAM

I'm trying to hold out till September for a new Macbook Pro, because of the free Ipod promo that Apple usually has at the beginning of the school year.

I was going to upgrade my iphone 3G for the white iphone 4, so I need Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
yosehb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
An OS upgrade doesn't usually ask you to partition your HD. Is your HD currently partitioned (before the OS 10.6 upgrade)?

- Nick
My HD is not partitioned, and I previously tried upgrading. I do not recall being asked to partition the previous time.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosehb View Post
My HD is not partitioned, and I previously tried upgrading. I do not recall being asked to partition the previous time.
If you have 10.4.11 installed and functioning on the drive, it is partitioned. You can't install an OS onto a drive wthout it being partitioned and formatted.

What disc is this you're attempting to use?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Is the Snow Leopard disc a retail disc(black), or a disc from another Mac(grey)?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« booting up | Trouble with updates »