New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help - Snow Leopard Crash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LBM

LBM is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I hava a Mac Book Pro 13" (2009) running OSX Snow Leopard. Yesterday, while using Safari, the system froze and I turned it off using the on/off button. Problem: For two times, I turned it on and all I got was that white screen, apple logo on the middle and the animated progress icon running indefinitely. Dont know what to do and, to get things worse, I have a music CD on the superdrive that I donīt know how to take out without the OSX running. Help please.

Best regards,
LBM
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

Hi all,

I hava a Mac Book Pro 13" (2009) running OSX Snow Leopard. Yesterday, while using Safari, the system froze and I turned it off using the on/off button. Problem: For two times, I turned it on and all I got was that white screen, apple logo on the middle and the animated progress icon running indefinitely. Dont know what to do and, to get things worse, I have a music CD on the superdrive that I donīt know how to take out without the OSX running. Help please.

Best regards,
LBM
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBM View Post
Hi all,

Best regards,
LBM
To get the cd out hold down the mouse button or the eject button in the upper right of you keyboard when you turn the computer on and the cd should be ejected.

That alone may fix your problem but it is unlikely. Try resetting the PRAM and SMC. If that does not work try repairing the permissions on the harddrive which would require you to boot from a system disk or preferably USB install disk.

Also how long did you let it spin before giving up on it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You need to remove that CD first in order to do any kind of trouble shooting. Try these suggested methods that the Mac Guides have listed. See this LINK.

If you can't remove the CD even after trying the above methods, you may have to take your MBP to Apple for service and repair. If your MBP is covered by Apple care, it will be serviced for free. The underlying problem of the system freezing also has to be dealt with. That could either be a hardware or software problem.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And do not double post.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

I did wait for probably 5-10 minutes max. What is PRAM and SMC anf how do I reset them ?
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

Ok, I managed to take the CD out, by pressing the eject key at startup, as suggested in reply to the same question I posted at the notebook forum (yes, I did double post... a desperate attitude). At the same answer I was told to try to reset PRAM and SMC. I have no idea of what that means, but I wonder if it wouldnt work to start the Mac OS installation disk. How could I do that ? Would it be effective ?

Thanks in advance,
LBM
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Cross post
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ard-crash.html
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I apologize for that. I really need help on this matter... As I have asked, would it work to boot with the installation disk ? How could I do that ?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

What I would do is boot off your second disc (the one with the Apple Hardware Test) and run that.
Insert the disc, restart the machine and hold D while you are booting.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

I would certainly try booting it with the OS DVD. At least you will be able to see if the bulk of the hardware is ok. Put the disk in there, and when you power it on, just hold the D key, and it should let you boot from the DVD.

Ha - 6S and I posted while I was typing. Hmmm - no way to delete my own post.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

SMC first turn off and unplug from mains and leave for thirty minutes and try again. Reset or zap the PRAM - turn off, reboot and immediately after the chime, hold down the Command, Option P and R keys all at the same time.

Keep held down until after the chime sounds three times, release and hopefully all will be well. Google will help you.

http://lmgtfy.com/

And ten minutes? How inconsiderate M- F Members!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
What I would do is boot off your second disc (the one with the Apple Hardware Test) and run that.
Insert the disc, restart the machine and hold D while you are booting.
OK, I ran Disk Utility and it said the disk needed repair. I clicked the "Repair Disk" utility, got a message "Volume Repair Complete" and, after a few seconds, another message - "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required". The application did not stop and it seems that it will go on forever (15 minutes up to now). Any idea ?

Thank you very much,
Leandro
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Just let it keep going.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@LBM

Do not cross post. As you can see your cross - posting has caused replies to be given in both forums. All that does is create confusion and clutters the forums with unnecessary posts. Please abide by the rules and only post in one forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

Your threads have been merged together.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! MacBook Pro Startup Problems | How to prevent wakeup with usb phone? »