New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Filevault Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tomel

Tomel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD

Considering using firevault, but have a question. Does anyone that uses firevault notice any speed degradation?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

DONT USE IT !!!!!! WARNING edit to come

EDIT : I and many others here will advise not to use FV. Unless you have some secret squirrel stuff to hide from the world DONT USE IT !!
There are problems with FV where once your HD gets to a certain storage level, being encrypted you wont be able to do anything bc it ill tell you, you havnt enough free space on yourHD to beable to un-encrypt the data. Have a read of this thread; People's take on FileVault.

So unless you work for the ubersecret society please heed the warning. I hate to see people loose all there data. If you read the whole thread you will see the problems i had trying to get all my data back. . . .
Hope this helps

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Tomel

Tomel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD

TatooedMac . . .

Thanks for not answering my question about speed degradation, but answering the question I should have asked - whether to use firevault at all. I use TrueCrypt on my Windows Desktop and it works great for stuff like bank account info, etc. I thought firevault might be an easy, built in alternative. I understand that the soon to be released Lion OS is supposed to provide full disk encryption. I think I'll wait and let some others test it to see if Apple addressed the problems you and others have encountered.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yea well i thought if you really wanted to use it after reading my thread you would ask again about the speed. I just thought it better to warn you off.
Yea im looking froward to looking at 10.7 bc i also have read they are doing things with the FV system . . . .
wIf you want to keep stuff safe you can encrypt files into a encrypted .dmg via disk utility. . . How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later . . . for security its the best i can offer
Or like me i bought 1Password after my mishap and some good suggestions from other members . . .

Oh to answer you question, from memory it wasnt a significant increase in speed. I just upped my RAM

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« maximizing windows | No grayscale print option after Leopard upgrade »