Mini display - svga MACBOOK PRO 13inch
    Hi people,

Please help as this is annoying me. lol

I bought a macbook pro do use with Final cut! I could only afford the 13 inch but thought this would be fine to put through my tv.
    I bought the wrong lead 2 or 3 times but finally have the correct one which is Mini Display port to VGA.

I put my other windows laptop through the svga lead and this works (So theres no prob with the lead or tv or anything) But when i put the lead into the adaptor i bought it dosnt. The screen on the macbook goes blue for a split second but nothing! I have put this into youtube and no one seems to have a problem! It comes straight on?

Someone told me its something to do with a 2009 model or something? Is this the case? I only have 1 hdmi port that is in use so i need to use this vga port.

Can anyone help or is there a software update? Or am i being stuip and once plugged in i need to do something?

Any help

Cheers people

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Please provide what you are using.

Specific model of your MBP - year - CPU speed - assume the 13" size?
    What adapter are you using - link to the specific adapter you bought would be best.

(You have gone into the owner's manual for your TV to find what resolutions are accepted via VGA on that model? and/or tried opening System Preferences - Displays and changing resolutions for the external display?)
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Ahh sorry.

new to macs.

Im not sure what year (where would it say?) But it was bought around 12 months ago.

macbook pro 13 inch led backlit widescreen notebook

2.4gig intel core 2 duo
    3mb shared
    4Gb of 1066mhz ddr3
    250gig hd (5400rpm)

This is the lead i bought

Ex-Pro Premium Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA MB572Z: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

And my other laptops work on the tv so i know its not that! But do i need to change a setting on the mac?

All the youtube videos just come with it on the screen as soon as you connect the lead?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by DjJacko2k11 View Post
    ... But do i need to change a setting on the mac?
    covered that one above

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

(...and/or tried opening System Preferences - Displays and changing resolutions for the external display?)
    You have also disconnected and reconnected the adapter and cable - even if they look ok?

Ye done this but it dosnt detect an external display even when you click detect! Just strange that a normal windows pc works with it but i cant seem to get this working.

Someone said something about 2009 chipsets or something? Take it you havant heard anything of this??

Thanks

Specs:
    The only thing related to early '09 MBs was related to the models that still had a mini-DVI, and they no longer supported composite or S-Video out through that port as they had previously. Since you do not have a Mac with a mini-DVI, nor are you attempting to output to composite or S-Video, the issue has no bearing here.

I would suggest verifying that the VGA cable you are using does indeed work. If it does, then I would recommend returning the adapter you bought and get Apple's adapter.

The only other thing I can suggest: while you have the external all connected and turned on, run Software Update. Apple came out with a firmware update for their early mini displayport to VGA adapters. It'd be worth a shot, but my understanding is that it updated the actual adapter, not the hardware on the computer, so it will likely not show an update for it.

I think i am using the Mini DVI but the adaptor i bought was to a 15 pin svga?

Thread Information