New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX 10.6 connection issues to Windows 7 server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdcountryboy91

jdcountryboy91 is on a distinguished road

This is my first post on this forum and I hope you guys can help. I currently have 2 OSX 10.6 machines on the network trying to connect to a Windows 7 server. I have all the sharing permissions on the windows box correct because it works half the time (described later). I can ping the windows box successfully and the Windows box can ping both mac machines. I am using smb//:IPAddress/ShareName to connect to the windows machine but I keep returning a generic error saying something like "Cannot connect....Check IP address...".

The strange thing is that I can connect to the windows server AFTER I do a restart. It works flawlessly after that for a while. All I know is the next day I come in and i get the error when trying to connect to the server. The server doesn't go to sleep or put the hard disks to sleep over night. The server stays on along with the Mac computers. It seems that a restart of the server resets something that allows the connection to be made.

I checked in my router settings but there is nothing in there that throws up a red flag to me. The server is assigned a fixed IP address.

Any ideas? I have googled and tried most everything but I haven't found another issue quite like mine.
QUOTE Thanks
jdcountryboy91

Anybody?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Are you running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Well, try Connecting OSX to Windows 7 - Microsoft Search either way.

QUOTE Thanks
jdcountryboy91

Windows 7 Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

I would still check the link I posted above. There is a lot more information than I could go over in a single post and I really don't want to rewrite what is already there, from the horse's mouth, so to speak..

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Computer Running Slow After Software Update | Transfering from WD external hard drive?? »