New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

VPN Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nomrah

nomrah is on a distinguished road

Brand new Mac user, sorry for the noob question.

I've set up my PPTP VPN which goes to a Watchguard Firewall, but I am unable to resolve any machines on the remote (Windows) domain by hostname when connected. I can ping by IP, but not just the hostname.

What am I missing? When the VPN is connected I see that it's pulling the correct DNS servers. I did read one tip to add "local" into the list of search domains under the VPN settings, but no luck. Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What is your ip address and the IP format of the windows network

eg, if your router uses 192.168.0.XXX and the remote network uses 192.168.0.XXX, then VPN will not work since it will look up any ip connections on your local network

Either your home network or the work network needs another private adress psace, eg, at home I have 192.168.0.XXX, while work has 192.168.99.XXX

If work will not change their adresses then your home network needs to be changed to 192.168.XX.XXX

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
nomrah

Different IP schema. I'm at home with 192.168.1.x, I'm going to a 10.0.0.x network.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

what happens when you select Connect to server from the finders Go menu and enter a remote IP address from there

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
nomrah

Using IP addresses are fine over the VPN, I can RDP and connect to server shares. It's using the hostname that I'm having problems with. Seems like a DNS issue, but when the VPN is connected, I see that I'm pulling the correct DNS server.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Macs don't resolve NETBIOS like Windows.

When browsing you need the FQDN of the machine you are connecting to. Bonjour browsing will only occur on the LAN and not traverse the VPN. Therefore the machines that show up in the Shared section of the sidebar in the Finder are only local LAN computers.

Try myserver.mydomain.local (eg: server01.contoso.local) across the VPN. That should work. Whatever your domain extension may be .local, .private, .com etc.

Problems????
Also be sure that the VPN settings are sending all traffic across the VPN, and that the VPN is on top of the list of interfaces in System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Operating System Metrics (Analytics). Does anyone know if something like this exists? | OS 10.4.11 Epson All in one driver problem »