New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X Lion price?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

For everyone running Snow Leopard how much do you think it will cost to upgrade to Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
ElegantEsthetic

ElegantEsthetic will become famous soon enough

Six cents.
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
For everyone running Snow Leopard how much do you think it will cost to upgrade to Lion?
I don't know that anyone outside of Cupertino could say for sure at this point. My bet is that it will be more than SL was, but less than Windows. I have absolutely nothing to base that on other than it seems to be a little more of an upgrade than Leopard to SL.

If I were a betting man, I would guess $49/$59 for single and maybe $79 for family.

I would be THRILLED if they maintained the same pricing as SL, though!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

We will know when they announce it. Most Full new OSx versions have been $129 but right now we have no idea.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

My money is also on the $129 dtravis7 mentions. Why? That was the price of Leopard when released.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with Harry. Unlike Snow Leopard, Lion is a complete new version of OS X with many new innovative changes. It will likely be full price - probably around $129.00 like Leopard. It might be discounted somewhat by resellers such as Amazon or NewEgg. Sometimes they'll offer a discount on a pre-order. They did that with Snow Leopard and Windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

My guess is $129. With the exception of Snow Leopard, that has been the norm for some time. And Apple will be able to justify the "price bump" for those newer users that only know of Leopard -> Snow Leopard as far as OS upgrading goes, because now they're consolidating the Server version of OS X into the disc they're selling clients.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
...because now they're consolidating the Server version of OS X into the disc they're selling clients.
Interesting - I didn't see that until now. That's about the first tidbit I've heard about Lion that makes it seem desirable.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

My money is on between $29 and $50

I just think that Apple, like with Snow Leopard, will want as many users to upgrade as possible - but its just a hunch based on the fact that, unlike microsoft, Apple is primarily a hardware vendor rather than a software company.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Apple will likely offer it through the App Store (like they have done with the developer previews) and the App Store price tier is 129.99, so if it's around 129, it'll be that.

But I think Apple will stick with the trend we've been seeing with Aperture and Final Cut and will lower the price. I think it'll be $99 or even $49, in order to get as many people using the new version (which includes the Mac App Store, which has so far been slow to take off amongst regular users).

EDIT: hehe - beat me to it louis!
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I would hope if offered through the app store it is a burnable image you can put on hard copy. I would hate to do an install of SL and then download Lion on a fresh install going forward.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
I would hope if offered through the app store it is a burnable image you can put on hard copy. I would hate to do an install of SL and then download Lion on a fresh install going forward.
I don't see why they couldn't include a "burn a boot disc" option… Or perhaps we'll even see a "create USB boot drive" utility?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I will also go with the sub $100 USD range because:

1) Apple with the incorporation of IOS-like aspects in Lion seems to be looking for it as a way to transition people who have IOS devices to Mac desktop and laptop hardware, thus expanding their overall base
2) Quick implementation of Lion into existing Mac base would help with #1 above
3) I'm not cheap (well actually I am) but I wouldn't pay $129 for Lion when I have a fully functional OS in SNL and don't see enough in Lion to cause me to upgrade unless the price gets really right
4) In the long run I believe Apple would make a lot more money due to #s 1&2 then they would out of charging me and others a significant upgrade fee, so probably in their best interest to sell marginally above cost (I'm guessing $49 upgrade, $79 Family Pack)

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I don't see why they couldn't include a "burn a boot disc" option… Or perhaps we'll even see a "create USB boot drive" utility?
Either would be fine with me. Usb boot drive would be best. Buy me a how ever big thumb drive and put it on there.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
portnoy

portnoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I agree that the price might be lower than normal full releases, as I think Apple sees more revenue from the new App Store and will want everyone to move up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop Problem | Why can't my MacBook Air open certain webpages and or email files? »