New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to Rebuild Icon Thumbnail previews in Finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jman995x

jman995x is on a distinguished road

For some reason when I'm looking at a folder full of pictures and I click on "Icon" view in a Finder window, all of the icons just show the "jpeg" icon (with the photographer's loupe).

How can I rebuild these icons so I can see them in Finder?

I don't want to have to dump them all into iPhoto in order to see preview pix.

Thanks,

J
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Give 'em a try in this order.

1. reboot the machine

2. Open the folder in Finder - click on the Actions button- select Show View Options - put a check next to Show icon preview. If it's checked, uncheck it, close the window, open it back up and check it again.

3. Head for your home folder - Library / Preferences - move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the desktop - log out and back in. If this fixes it, you can delete the file. This is going to reset all your Finder preferences to default.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fostermike1

fostermike1 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem in OS 10.4. Solution #2 worked perfectly. Thank you, bobtomay!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much room? | Macbook Pro 13" not going to sleep properly... »