New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is there a Mac App to get rid of hidden apps files or cookies on my Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rena

rena is on a distinguished road

I KNOW there is hidden nonsense in my computer that is slowing it down. But I dont know where to find them or what lingo they would be under.

I found out how to do disk permissions and I clean out history and cache all the time but I can "hear" something running if that makes any sense.

There must be some sort of program that can find it and destroy the culprits.

Help!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can use something like OnyX to clean up and perform maintenance on your machine.

My question though is how do you know that something is slowing down your machine? If you know what it is, we can help you fix it if you tell us.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

If you're basing your claim on a sound, it's possible you simply have a bad hard drive. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Open /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

Make sure the dropdown menu at the top has "All Processes" selected.
Now rank the list by % CPU, and then by Real Mem. In ether of these views, do you see something at the top taking up an unusually large amount of either? In addition, near the bottom of the screen, check CPU and System Memory. Is your system using a lot of CPU? Does it have no free memory? Checking Disk Usage, how is your hard drive doing for free space? I guarantee there isn't any "hidden nonsense" on your computer doing this (this isn't Windows), but it's possible that either you've simply filled up your hard drive, you're using a program you've left open for a while that is using lots of system memory, or you overestimated how powerful your machine is and are pushing it to do more than it can reasonably do.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Nothing can be installed on your Mac without you giving it express permission to do so. You would have had to enter your administrator password. So think back to anything you've downloaded that may be causing an issue and search for it in Spotlight. See if deleting it helps.

What kind of "sound" are you talking about? That would be a hardware, not a software or OS issue.
QUOTE Thanks
rena

rena is on a distinguished road

When its trying to open its crackling a lot. But once it opens the sound comes and goes that is like when you light a fuse to a bomb like in those cowboy movies. Took me a bit to figure the sound out. It will happen while im on the web. The hard drive is fine. And I have a LOT of space.

My computer will not open firefox properly. It will just sit there in Mozilla state. I restart the computer and still nothing. Then all of a sudden it opens but I cross my fingers how long that will last.

The only thing Ive done recently is put a Canon MX410 on my Mac.

There is an asteroids dash that is taking up a heck of a lot more CPU than the others. Its 25 or 16 or 20 where the others are .10. Id like that gone. I dont know how to get rid of it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Applications not showing up in Application Support | Progress bar on start up »