New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I have no "apple" menu icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PatrickJohn

PatrickJohn is on a distinguished road

be patient here and thanks in advance for any help, i'm a mac newbie!....mac pro os x 10.6.7...safari...

i thought i was goin' nuts, but i really don't have the little "apple" menu icon in the upper left hand corner...i have gone to preferences and see no option there to add...i've re-booted...still no "apple" menu icon...not seeing any option to re-start, shut-down or sleep without doing it from the keyboard....eeeeee

also, there is no bar across the top that says "file", etc...hmmm...anyone?....anyone?...

thanks! PJ
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The only times I have had no bar up top were in Snow Leopard and just pointing and clicking up there brought it back. Not sure if that is the issue or not in your case.
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickJohn

hmm...i got nothin', man...it's really bugging me...has to be simple...
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Did you change the screen resolution/size? Maybe it got squeezed out of the visible screen space.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Could it be the main display got switched to a secondary monitor somehow.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickJohn

nope on the screen size.....nope on main display switched to a secondary monitor....let me ask y'all...i installed office for mac (big mistake, btw) a few weeks ago...it asked to partition my computer (in a sep. window) for windows...i thought that was a requirement for office....later found out not a requirement....am i open in the windows partition?...can i "un-partition"?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this the Mac OSX version of Office? If so that makes no sense at all.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohn View Post
i installed office for mac (big mistake, btw) a few weeks ago...it asked to partition my computer (in a sep. window) for windows
What? Office does not ask you to partition your drive. It is a regular Mac application much like any other and does not require you to have a separate partition. Are you sure that was Office you were installing? I'm wondering if that is somehow connected.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickJohn

yes, office for mac os x...it was purchased thru microsoft....the partition prompt, which i realized AFTER i did it, was a bogus prompt thru microsoft (as if!)...right now, i just want all of it OFF and OUT of my beautiful new mac!...i haven't done much on the computer, so i am thinking about a total re-do (re-install)....good or bad idea?...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've installed Office for Mac OS X 2008 and 2011 and was never prompted about creating a partition.

Can you supply us with the link where you downloaded MS Office from? I'm assuming it was from the Microsoft on line store since that's the only legal place it can be downloaded from.
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickJohn

first off....thanks to y'all for being soooooooo helpful!!!....i can't believe it!

https://buy.officeformac.com/store?A...ickBuyCartPage

is this what you mean?....yep, it came from the ms store....but right now, i'm concerned about having no menu bar at all....just thought i'd throw the whole "office ordeal" in the mix, in case y'all thought that would've made a difference....arrrrgh!....frustrating!

i've checked partitions, and i show 1. macintosh HD 2. time machine backups

i re-started in safe mode (takes longer to boot now---after 2 restarts)...

the microsoft "bootcamp" is still asking me to do a windows partition, but no way!...lol

still no menu bar or neat little apple in the upper left corner......
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickJohn

OMG....the menu bar is "hiding" behind the frame of my monitor!...but how to reduce the size of the desktop image to include the bar on the screen????....jeeeeez....
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickJohn

got it.....i feel so retarded (no offense please)....who knows how many bogus adjustments i've made....hope i haven't REALLY screwed something up! LOL....PJ
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Bootcamp will only ask you to partition if you run it. Just don't run Bootcamp! Bootcamp is an installer for running Windows on your Mac and makes a partition. I have never seen Bootcamp come up all by itself and demand to partition.

I will check on the Menubar hiding issue and get back to you if I can find something. Have you messed with the monitor resolution at all?

Tell me, if you move the mouse all the way up and keep going does the bar come down?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Or just maybe zoomed in.
Put a finger on control and scroll down on your trackpad with 2 fingers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air 11' - kernel panic | applescript - delete file from root »