New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard vs. Lion ?

Thread Closed

bookie_22

bookie_22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMAC 3.2GHZ IntelCore i3 27", iPHONE 3GS (8g)

Hey everybody!

So I'm just curious onto what everyones' opinion is on the new LION, os for your macs?

Im running the good ol' snow leopard (10.6.7), but just curious to how the LION is running.

Is it good? Screen shots of anything different? Will it be worth it to update to the LION?

Please let me know

Thanks

~*d-E-j*~
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

The only people at this time who have Lion are Developers and they are not allowed to say anything, only look for bugs. Lion will be out sometime later this year. Forget when. Ask then.

In the mean time, 10.6.7 is a great OS.
bookie_22

bookie_22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMAC 3.2GHZ IntelCore i3 27", iPHONE 3GS (8g)

D'Oh, well i guess the A.D.D has gotten to the best of me.
Thought it was released already!
But i do agree, 10.6.7 is running good.

~*d-E-j*~
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

The only thing we really know about Lion is the Interface will be a combo of OSX and IOS from the iPad.
Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

how much should we expect to upgrade to lion if we already have Snow Leopard?
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OS X Lion will likely sell for full price: $129.00. There may be some specials offered by Amazon or NewEgg for a pre-order. Sort of the same thing they did for Snow Leopard and Windows 7. That's just my guess, like everyone else, we won't know until Apple announces the price.
leopardquicker

leopardquicker can only hope to improve

Hi!
Well just to point out some specific questions about this issue, objectively, since I also have to decide about buying a macbook in summer or now.

1. I have the feeling that Apple is just going to do the same mistake with OSX as Microsoft with Windows Vista. Better visuals against a heavy deterioration of the system resources as reported by some testers?

2. Lion, in real life (in wild life) is more dangerous and slower than Leopard, with all its consequences. Needless to say that it will be a Newborn Lion (baby lion) with all its consequences too.

3. The question is: who wants a tactile operative system in his/her non-tactile laptop? It's just like wanting bicycle wheels for your car.

4. Adapting the operative system of tactile devices to desktop/laptop systems: adaptation has been always a concern in all possible technical terms, further when it comes to adapt something to a very different reality/objective for what it was built, it really whispers a concern. Adaptation of visuals and OS management of a tactile device are a clear mistake to commit against a non tactile device.

5. The well known and good reputation winner Snow Leopard will be replaced by something that promises stupid things (almost useless and undesiderable things) against an already reported important worsening of system resources (in the beta tests). You can hope Apple enginyeers trying to make faster a system which will be SLOWER by definition, but I'm sincerely not going to take that risk.

Conclusion: I know that it will probably be a decision against the "Always update" living theory, or conservative in other words, but I don't want to make the same mistake that I made buying something new because it promises to be better for the simple fact of being new, even with the already filtered communications about the worsening of the system performance just as hapened with Windows Vista.
No, Thanks.
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I won't quote the rant as it will just take up unnecessary space, but why not wait until you judge with your "thumb down" to see what it is that Lion actually is like when it is released?
leopardquicker

Because if you wait for the lion to appear he will eat all previous systems (you will have to make a deep search in the jungle to find an "old" Leopard Macbook, if you can).
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

troll... do some research!
Current OS, Snow Leopard!
Previous OS, Leopard, and still support as well as countless amounts of Machines on the market with Leopard!
But wait, still on the market, plenty of Macs with Tiger, and yes, even Panther on the market!
Ebay, craigs list.... do your search.

Oh, by the way, it was only with the introduction of Snow Leopard that Tiger support ceased, however, all the Tiger update downloads are still available from the Apple site.

I have no idea why I am wasting my time responding, but I will not post another response!
leopardquicker

Just for the other users to know, I was obviously abbreviating Snow Leopard to Leopard.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardquicker View Post
Just for the other users to know, I was obviously abbreviating Snow Leopard to Leopard.
Well, since you're apparently not aware, you can't abbreviate Snow Leopard to Leopard as they are two (yes, 2) different OS X operating systems.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

In the line who wants tactical that might not be what you think screen wise it may have
a lot more to do with the new track pads.
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Shame trolls do not really understand what they are ranting about!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
leopardquicker

The only shame I see is that experienced/old forum users insult to the newcomers. I really see this as a blight on the reputation of the forum. Many new users may see, because of these few undesiderable people, the mac community as an hostile community and not wanting to be part of it.

Thread Closed

« Making dvds, jpegs get locked, why? | Help?? how to disable the service on IMAC 10.6 using command line??? »