New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - copy and paste problem and running slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Something is slowing down my computer iMac G5 10.4.2
I ran disk utilities,that only came up with special permissions for a widget. Restarted Still running slow and when I try to copy and paste the highlighted areas are not de-highlighting and I get that "ping" sound trying to copy (command C) .any suggestions?

edit: btw I have plenty of memory

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

What are you trying to copy and paste from?
If its something like a PDF then forget it, you can't do it from a PDF or some other protected/locked file format.

Define slow...is it a particular app or is it everything in general? And how much is "plenty of" RAM? Depending on the app you are running, it might not be enough. Lots of Adobe apps are huge memory hogs.

Still, try rebooting, Disk Repair, Reset PRAM...etc. You know the drill, hehe :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

I tried copying text, is all this is what's on this one(see attachment)Everything is changing over from one app to another really slow even the genie effect is funny It is moving so slow I can read a whole paragraph before it slides into dockl. I have never seen it so slow How do you reset pram?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg memory.jpg (11.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg mem.jpg (10.8 KB, 9 views)

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Reset PRAM by holding down CMD+Option+P+R while booting up until you here the chime three times.

I don't think it's a copy and paste thing though.

What about recent software installs or interface tweaking. Try downloading the 10.4.2 combo update from Apple and re-run it. Also try running repair permissions as root.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

I CMD+Option+P+R while booting up but only heard 1 chime.... errrr! I did it twice and still only one chime

www.idadgraphics.com
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNAP
I CMD+Option+P+R while booting up but only heard 1 chime.... errrr! I did it twice and still only one chime
You are only supposed to hear it once.
If you are holding down the key combo BEFORE the gray screen appears, the computer should then restart and you will hear the startup gong once.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice

My bad,..

You should wait until you hear one chime three times. One chime should do it, but many say that three is the magic number.

Do your own google search on Reset Pram to come to your own conclusion.

Needless to say in the days of OS X the PRAM reset is not as big of a thing as it was in OS 9.

BTW,.. Hows the real issue?
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

"Hows the real issue?" If you mean the being slow issue and C&P it is still happening........I keep getting "the spinning ball" it is getting frustrating! I can not find a problem. I'm to the point I may do a reinstall of tiger...dunno

www.idadgraphics.com
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

Open activity monitor to see what your cpu and ram utilizations are. See if you've got a locked thread or something.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File icons not displaying properly | Start Up Sound »