New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect.." ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

I got an iMac i7 about four weeks ago and looked forward to easy, great computing. It works fine, but has developed a serious networking error that may see it returned for a refund.

Specifically, my ethernet port says "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

I have tried deleting my locations and starting from scratch; deleting my ethernet connection then creating a new one; deleting some network preferences files in my system preferences; and of course renewing my DHCP lease.

This problem has appeared across forums, with no proven method to fix it. In fact, one alleged former Genius said it's existed since Panther and is a serious, critical problem for which their appears to be no cure for many who encounter it.

It's simple - if this isn't fixed I'm returning the iMac. The wireless works, but I have a fully gigabit ethernet connection for good reason - wireless is second-rate; particularly when I'm in a room with a lot of insulation from my wireless router.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Call Applecare and they will walk you through a solution. It sounds like you are using Windows knowledge to try and resolve a Mac issue. Call Applecare and let them guide you. It is possible that there is a problem with the machine and they can help you find it.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

I'm using the only advice offered throughout my Googling. Others have called Applecare and achieved nothing - and if they had received a working solution, I'd be surprised no-one has provided it to the multitude of forumites who have suffered this.

So I will call them - in their incredibly office-unfriendly hours - this week and hope for the best. Right now I'd have faster internet with a Tescos netbook.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

I'm probably doing something similar to what you are trying to accomplish, and I'm also new to the Mac coming from a Windows world. I do better one on one, so I made a reservation at the expert counter in my local store - they fixed a different problem I was having right then and there...

Back to your question, though. I wanted to set up my Mac like my Win machine - manual network addresses pointed at specific devices.
click Apple icon, upper left corner.
click System Preferences.
Internet & Wireless window - click Network icon.
Click "Ethernet" in list on the left.
select dropdown "Configure IPv4"
Enter the addresses you need to use. I did this...
IP = 192.168.0.33
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Router = 192.168.0.1
DNS = 192.168.0.1
Search domains = blank

Time spent learning how to do things on a Mac = not much + well worth it. This Macbook runs Windows apps much better than Windows does, and the hardware is sooo much nicer.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Which router are you using right now? Does it have the latest firmware on there? If the DHCP has no issues over wireless, it should conceivably not have issues over a wired connection..

You can easily circumvent this issue by setting up a static IP address until a better resolution is found.

DHCP addresses are convenient and absolutely required for locations with lots of devices, but for a small home network, static IP address work just as well..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Wheelguy, I typed in those settings and got a green instead of an amber light on my ethernet connection - but no web pages load so I had to turn airport back on again.

Raz0redge, my iMac and consoles are all connected to a Netgear GS608 in my bedroom, which is in turn connected to a Linksys WAG320N.

I have logged into the Linksys and have the latest firmware, but have never logged into my Netgear router - and am not sure if I even can?

Could you explain how to do a static IP?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is a really strange issue as I have never had issues with any Mac and a wired connection. What are you using the two routers for and how is everything hooked up?

Opps, Scratch that. The Netgear GS608 is a Switch. What is the IP range of the Linksys router? That might explain why putting in the numbers you were given did not get you internet. Reason I ask is normally Linksys uses 192.168.1.1 as the router IP and if you put in 192.168.0.33 it would not work.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Well the WAG320N is in our hallway, simply acting as an ADSL router for our BT phone line; and a 15 metre stretch of cat5 cable runs out of the back down to my basement conversion bedroom, where it connects to the Netgear 8 port switch, which all my devices are attached to.

It's a great, fully gigabit setup that's worked pretty much flawlessly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What IP Range is the Linksys router set for? Usually like I said above it's 192.168.1.1 with most Linksys products.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

192.168.1.1 is what I type to get into the Linksys interface - is that what you meant?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Yes. On the iMac try a manual IP and put in say 192.168.1.55. See if you still can't connect to the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Right buddy, just tried that IP using the settings put forward by wheelguy and no luck. I then tried converting the Router and DNS settings to 192.168.1 as well - still no luck.

I'll be keen to try anything else you suggest, but like I said - a lot of people seem to have encountered this problem and really hit a brick wall. I'll try to remain optimistic though!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

did you set the router address in OSX to 192.168.1.1? You left out the last number.

Also I take it if you use DHCP you get nothing?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Can you do a few screen shots of your network settings in OSX? Especially all the tabs in Ethernet.

If you are new to OSX, hold Command+Shift+3 and it will take the whole screen. If you want just the network screen, Command+Shift+4 then point at the panel and hit Space then release the mouse. It puts them on the desktop.

Apples page is down for now but here is a URL to the cached version. People with your issue having fixes. Might help.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Have a look at this link. Have to say use the same modem/router and it works beautifully.

Mac Wireless Problems? Guide to Troubleshooting Airport & Wireless Problems on your Mac

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« applications folder removed | OS X updates »