New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Anyone Noticing A Problem With Safari?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Syze

Syze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 500GB HD, 8GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 4S Black, 32GB iPod Touch

Over the last couple of days Safari has been running running very slow for me - the beach ball appearing regularly and videos jumping even when streamed sufficiently. Anyone else have these problems or know how I can solve it? I've tried reinstalling Safari but it didn't help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

When was the last time you rebooted the system? Safari, if run long enough without rebooting, has been known to leak memory. Not much, but over a long period of time it can be significant.

Next time that occurs with Safari running, open the Activity Monitor.app and see what's going on. Watch to see how much memory Safari is using.

Also, at any time, just reset Safari from its top menu and that will clean all the caches and history. That won't have any effect on its memory usage but will help speed things up somewhat.

There could be other reasons for the slowness, but for now try the above.
QUOTE Thanks
Syze

I reboot daily so that shouldn't be a problem. I have 8GB of RAM, ACtivity Monitor says Safari is using 1.54GB of memory - is that a lot?

Thanks for the response.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Yes, that's a lot. I've been running Safari since early this morning without a reboot and it shows that it's using 134 MB of real memory. My system has 4 GB of memory installed.

What else major is going on in the Activity Monitor and what does it show for percentage of CPU usage?
QUOTE Thanks
Syze

CPU usage is fluctuating between 2 and 6%. Memory is now at 1.65GB. There's nothing else major going on in the activity monitor. The next biggest is iTunes and that's at 118.3MB.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Safari does this to me all the time. Its a memory hog because of the leak. I have activity monitor in my Dock with the Memory (RAM) usage showing and I can watch lots of memory free up when I close Safari.

QUOTE Thanks
Syze

Getting too frustrating, making the switch to Opera.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Im forever closing and then re-launching Safari. As with baggss i keep a eye on it in the Dock and once it gets to 1.0GB ill close it. I love Safari but this is the one bug a dont like, but its not enough to go to another browser just yet.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

It might also help to know which, if any Safari extensions you have loaded. Some have been known to "enhance" the memory leakage. I normally have no extensions loaded and can run Safari for long periods of time without any significant memory leakage.

In any event, Opera is a good choice. But beware of how it imports your Safari bookmarks and where it places them. Very cumbersome in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
xxxsur

xxxsur is on a distinguished road

memory leak is not new...together with the Webkitpluginagent (most of it should be flash)
it can eat up to 1GB with couple of hours of surfing
No solution i reckon but regularly reopening safari can be a workaround...the beachball thing...it happens to me when i first loaded to webpages full of flash
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook won't restart normally, but "sudo reboot" works fine... | Deleted images from "All Files" Folder (Please help) »