New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lost Applications Folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macropod

macropod is on a distinguished road

G'Day,
This is my first post.
I have an IMac with Snow Leopard.
I have lost my Applications Folder from two places.
First I lost it from the Dock and following advice from older posts I dragged a copy (empty) from Finder to the same position on the dock. Clicking on this just says "Open in Finder" so I deleted this.
Then in Finder I clicked on the Applications tag (in Places) to open Applications Folder (AF) and dragged an icon into the AF I just put on the dock but the AF just turned into the icon i moved.
Next suggestion was to drag AF from HD which I took to be that Applications tag in Finder > Places but seems like it was a bad thing to do as that just disappeared too. So now the only way I can get to my AF is to search through spotlight. I would appreciate some help to get it back to normal.
thanks, macropod
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Your Applications folder should be in your Macintosh HD. If not, check your Trash.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Open Finder

Under Devices, highlight MacIntosh HD - or what ever you named your drive if your changed it - mine is called Black Mask.

Then:

Notice I said "right side"... you cannot put this folder on the left side of the separator in the dock.

If you do not have Applications listed in the Sidebar of Finder:

Open Finder - Preferences - click on the Sidebar tab and then under Devices, put a check mark next to Applications

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
I have lost my Applications Folder from two places.
First I lost it from the Dock ...
Next suggestion was to drag AF from HD which I took to be that Applications tag in Finder > Places but seems like it was a bad thing to do as that just disappeared too.
The statement in bold above is not correct. Allow me to explain. The Icon labeled "Applications" in the Dock, and the one so labeled under "Places" (in what is called the Sidebar, as it's on the side of a Finder Window) are not your actual Applications Folder. Both of the above are "pointers", or, in Windows parlance "shortcuts" to the actual folder. As stated in another post above, your real Applications Folder is in the "top level" folder which you access by double clicking on the icon in the upper right corner of your Desktop. That is the one and only place that it exists, normally. (Some people also have another one in their User folder. - or more if there are multiple user accounts)
QUOTE Thanks
macropod

macropod is on a distinguished road

Thanks bobtomay (and you other guys)
Followed your instructions and I have the two Applications Folder (shortcuts)
back where they belong.
Cheers, macropod
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting out of safe mode | Hidden Files and Folders »