New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can iTunes recognise Avi/XVid movies?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

Hey

I have a huge collection of AVI/XVid movies I used to stream across our Windows network using Homegroup. I am now all Mac'd out, but my sister still has a Windows computer.

Using iTunes, she can stream all the music from my iMac no problem. However, iTunes does not recognise any of my XVid movies (most of them) so they cannot be streamed to her.

Any ideas on how to get iTunes to recognise them? I've seen a couple of methods involving individual imports, but I have close to 300 movies!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You can't share anything via iTunes that cannot be imported into iTunes. DivX/XviD fall into this category.

If you're not prepared to spend the time to convert them, the easy way is going to be to share the folder the movies are in for her to access.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Oh that's an idea! How do I share my movies folder on my external hard drive; while DEFINITELY not sharing other folders on it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

System Preferences - Sharing - highlight and check off File Sharing - hit the plus sign to add the folder you want to share

QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Done and enabled SMB, but cannot see it on my sister's laptop yet. Am I correct in going into 'network' on her Win7 laptop and expecting my iMac to appear there?
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

I do recall making this work with my Windows desktop and actually making an icon which directly connected to my Macbook.. Can't remember how though!
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Well I can't get either the iMac or her laptop to see each other.. However, 'Playback' is appearing as a Media Device both on the 'network' and in Windows Media Player on her laptop.. However, when I try to click it says 'The remote media library did not allow the connection'.

So between getting a standard file share and the Playback program to work, there is hope!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I forget now how I set it up. Can't get to my Win machine right now - wife's watching TV and that's the only monitor on my Windows rig.

Check out the Apple article - you've got SMB set up, so scroll all the way down to: Joining a Microsoft Windows workgroup

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you've setup SMB sharing on your Mac, in Windows go to Run or open a Windows Explorer window. The destination you want to go to is \\<ip>. For instance, if your Mac has the IP of 192.168.1.2, navigate to \\192.168.1.2.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

Never got this to work directly, despite great effort, but I can recommend the OSX program 'Playback' for sharing media from a Mac and then I installed 'Boxee' on our Windows computers which does a great job playing this shared media - problem solved.

I am soon to purchase a 2Tb NAS for all our movies though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon IP4700 printer will not work with MacBook Air | Gray Screen and Disk Utility error..UGH »