New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I need help gaining access to my data


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
EKaru

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 41
EKaru is an unknown at this point

EKaru is offline
Unfortunately my "private folder" was accidentally deleted and my MBP would no longer reboot... I then reinstalled snow leopard and the desktop looked like it was a clean install (as if all of my data was gone) but my 200 gig hard drive shows that there's only 28 gigs of empty space left. When I try to go to the home folder to retrieve my data, it says that I don't have permission to access it.. How do I go about restoring my computer to its original form or at least gaining access to my original data? I tried logging out and back in but none of my old user names are there....
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,664
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
Unfortunately my "private folder" was accidentally deleted and my MBP would no longer reboot... I then reinstalled snow leopard and the desktop looked like it was a clean install (as if all of my data was gone) but my 200 gig hard drive shows that there's only 28 gigs of empty space left. When I try to go to the home folder to retrieve my data, it says that I don't have permission to access it.. How do I go about restoring my computer to its original form or at least gaining access to my original data? I tried logging out and back in but none of my old user names are there....
Thanks!
You may be out of luck since you did a reinstall of the OS, but if the files are there and the folders are visible you should be able to change the access permissions in the finder window (assuming you have Admin rights).
Click on the Folder in question. Select Get info to pull up a window and at the bottom is the user permissions, click on the lock icon to allow changes and you can then set the permissions to allow access.

If you aren't able to get to your data once you update the permissions. Your other choices are to use Data Recovery software or a Data Recovery service.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,737
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
First and foremost, you might want to run Disk Utility and repair the permissions, this will most likely fix the permissions of the existing directories and should let you back in.

So when you re-installed Snow Leopard, you didn't format the HD, right?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
EKaru

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 41
EKaru is an unknown at this point

EKaru is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You may be out of luck since you did a reinstall of the OS, but if the files are there and the folders are visible you should be able to change the access permissions in the finder window (assuming you have Admin rights).
Click on the Folder in question. Select Get info to pull up a window and at the bottom is the user permissions, click on the lock icon to allow changes and you can then set the permissions to allow access.

If you aren't able to get to your data once you update the permissions. Your other choices are to use Data Recovery software or a Data Recovery service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
First and foremost, you might want to run Disk Utility and repair the permissions, this will most likely fix the permissions of the existing directories and should let you back in.

So when you re-installed Snow Leopard, you didn't format the HD, right?

Regards
Thanks for the responses...
Running disk utility now (repairing permissions). When I reinstalled snow leopard, I did Not do an erase and reinstall. I simply booted from the disk and clicked install and there's only 28GB available on a 200GB drive, so all the data is there. It's just a matter of being able to access it.
QUOTE Thanks
EKaru

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 41
EKaru is an unknown at this point

EKaru is offline
okay, now things are really wacked....
I tried saving a screen grab to my desktop, but it said I didn't have permission to even do that....
Here's a photo of what happens when I try accessing my folders

QUOTE Thanks
EKaru

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 41
EKaru is an unknown at this point

EKaru is offline
Also when I restart my computer all the system preferences go back to default settings every time (display settings, trackpad speed etc)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,664
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
If you are logging in as a different user (you said the old user accounts didn't show up) then repairing disk permissions won't, I don't think (I could be wrong), fix the issue. You don't have access permission which is a user Admin function and is based on how the accounts were originally set up.

If you will look in the lower left hand corner of the screen shot you posted, where it says, 'Sharing and Permissions'. it also says you have no access. You need to click on the lock icon to allow changes (per my previous post) and change the access rights.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
EKaru

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 41
EKaru is an unknown at this point

EKaru is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
If you are logging in as a different user (you said the old user accounts didn't show up) then repairing disk permissions won't, I don't think (I could be wrong), fix the issue. You don't have access permission which is a user Admin function and is based on how the accounts were originally set up.

If you will look in the lower left hand corner of the screen shot you posted, where it says, 'Sharing and Permissions'. it also says you have no access. You need to click on the lock icon to allow changes (per my previous post) and change the access rights.
That worked! Thanks Very much!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,664
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
That worked! Thanks Very much!!!
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

BTW: Time for the mandatory plug about having a Backup strategy and being consistent with it. Hard Drives fail and you don't want to lose irreplaceable files and memories.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
EKaru

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 41
EKaru is an unknown at this point

EKaru is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

BTW: Time for the mandatory plug about having a Backup strategy and being consistent with it. Hard Drives fail and you don't want to lose irreplaceable files and memories.
Absolutely... Time for a time machine backup.
QUOTE Thanks
teban49

 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2009
Posts: 7
teban49 is on a distinguished road

teban49 is offline
This one is a little bit related to the last post. In my case, I turned on a "flavor" iMac, a G3/333, PowerPC 750 (2.2) with OSX Version 10.3 installed, which had been sitting, plugged in but untouched, in a spare room for a whole bunch of years. My younger son wants to use it now, and the problem is that when my older son came home with it, years back, from a garage sale, I think, he made himself administrator. Now he (Max) can't remember what he used for a password. We need to find a User Install CD for OS X for changing the administrator's password. Max didn't get any CD's from the seller; there isn't any purchased software on the iMac, either, but at least we need that one CD for an obvious reason. Where's the place to go and get it):
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,406
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
Try eBay or Craig's list. Try to find a "retail" version, not machine specific. It's probably going to cost more than what you might want to pay, so be prepared....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Snow Leopard - User account lost after logout | Installing Mac osx retail on machine with no os? HELP »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Data not being deleted di.late Apple Notebooks 2 08-27-2010 11:45 PM
Cannot access server via FTP Drew384 Web Design and Hosting 4 09-02-2009 01:15 PM
kernel panic lamborn OS X - Operating System 1 08-01-2008 03:29 PM
transfer pc->mac acash0902 Switcher Hangout 10 11-14-2007 01:58 PM
OSX/XP Data Partition - Format problems cranny OS X - Operating System 0 08-23-2007 07:08 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?