New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Viewing Windows Partition on multi partition CD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheLimp

TheLimp is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

Just got myself my first ever MAC (iMac 27" 3.2 i3). Always had PCs but decided to jump the fence this time. I am hoping to understand what people mean when they say "Macs just work!!!"

Anyways I have a question and hope im posting it in the right place.

I have a laptop (Win XP Pro) that does not have an optical drive. I have a printer attached to it and a CD to install the drivers.

I was hoping to just put the CD into my mac and grab the files I wanted and copy them onto a USB or network drive but when I put the CD in all I can see is the Installation folders for the mac.

Is there anyway to see the windows files I need?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Depends on how the disc is wrtten but you should be able to see them in Finder.

If not, why not just download the Printer drivers from the manufacturers website?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
TheLimp

I was not able to see them in finder but I know it has installs on it for OSx and windows as I got hold of another Laptop (win xp) with a cd drive and I could see the windows and OSx files.

I got the files off the internet in the end but it took over 2hrs as my internet was playing up.

Although I have worked around it in this cause I would still like to know if there is a way to do it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It depends on what format the installation disk is using but generally you can see Windows folders and files in the Finder and can copy them to a flash drive or external drive. I do that all the time. However, some disks which have both OS X and Windows installations on them will "hide" the other operation system.
QUOTE Thanks
TheLimp

Cheers for the replies, appreciate the help.

Even if the windows partition is hidden from OSx surly there is a way to view/extract these files. I can think of several programs on the windows platform to do exactly this but am havin a no luck on google finding any on osx as it's just popping up multiple boot OS etc. ...
QUOTE Thanks
ginxs19

ginxs19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLimp View Post
Cheers for the replies, appreciate the help.

Even if the windows partition is hidden from OSx surly there is a way to view/extract these files. I can think of several programs on the windows platform to do exactly this but am havin a no luck on google finding any on osx as it's just popping up multiple boot OS etc. ...

I know this is an old thread and probably you already have a new printer, anyway, I found a solution as I was struggling with the same issue:

Mount CD-ROMs as a Windows user would see them - Mac OS X Hints
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac book pro wont load | Files on CD not showing in Finder »