New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Uploading photos to a web site - why won't OS X let me do it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rimo911s

rimo911s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 4GB, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Snow Leopard

Have posted this on another area of this site but hope it is OK if I try here as well.

Just a month into my Mac experience and so far have managed to solve most issues in transferring from Windows PC.

However, I need some help please with this issue, not sure if this is the right area to post in but here goes.

I use a third party provider to produce 360 degree virtual tours for me - I take the images and stitch them together, then upload the images to their website.

For some reason, I cannot complete the uploads if I use the iMac - my old windows machine still does the job OK which suggests it is not a problem with the website itself but a problem with the iMac or at least with OS X.

I have tried it using both Safari and Google Chrome - no joy with either.

Have called Apple support - this was my first experience of them and I have to say that sadly they were totally clueless!

Anyone out there who can help me please?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

How do you upload them?

A java loader on the website? FTP? etc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Have you tried FireFox?
Sounds to me like it is a WebBrowser issue.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
rimo911s

The website has an 'Add Image' button that I click on and it gives me the option to browse for the correct file to upload from within my folder structure. I'm afraid I don't know if that means it is Java or FTP or anything else, that is beyond my technical know how.
QUOTE Thanks
rimo911s

Thanks for the suggestion on Firefox - I've just downloaded it and given it a try but exactly the same problem has occurred again
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Sorry it didn't work.
I saw mrplow's post on FTP/JAVA. Perhaps that is problem, but not an area I have expertise in.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

I use Photobucket and after switching to a MAC I discovered I couldn't upload photo's the same way I did with a PC. I had to download a small app from Photobucket. Then when I want to send a photo to Photobucket I onen iPhoto select the photo select File then Export. Then the Photobucket logon screen appears. I enter my userid and pw and I can then save that photo.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I use Photobucket and after switching to a MAC I discovered I couldn't upload photo's the same way I did with a PC.
???
I use photobucket to host pics I post on these forums and never had trouble finding my files in Finder or in iPhoto. It's easy to browse through my files wherever they may be on my Mac.

Sorry for the hijack.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
rimo911s

Thanks for the input so far but unfortunately I am still having the same problem with the website that I need to upload my images to - it works fine from a Windows PC running IE but not from my iMac running Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox.

Any other ideas out there?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Any objection to posting the website so I could try it out?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I concur. Please share this website with us so that we can better assist you. My first thought is that the site uses some kind of Flash based uploader, and perhaps you're missing the plugin? Though, it would likely alert you to that so.... I dunno.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
rimo911s

Happy to share the web site ( Welcome to i-Spy360,virtual tours, online e-brochures, video production, web design. ) however you will be unable to log in to the upload section as you need to become one of their agents for that.

I'll ask them what kind up system they use for uploading and then maybe that will help with finding an answer.

Thanks for the continued interest
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I can tell you right away that the virtual tours use Flash, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used some kind of Flash (or Java) based uploader as well. Could you post your website here, or is it something you need to log in to as well, or pay for ?

Doug

P.S. Contacting Apple is likely not the best route to take, since they have no control over what software your hosting company is using. I'd contact the people over at the hosting site, and ask if they have any alternative methods for uploading photos.

P.P.S. I usually don't make a fuss about Flash sites, but when they're poorly coded, I do. And that site has some shoddy Flash "coders". Those 360 tours kick the heck out of my system resources and get my fans revving like jet engines! As a "potential client", that would really put me off. Just saying..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Have you raised a ticket through the support link on the site?

Is your system fully up to date, the was a Java update recently.

QUOTE Thanks
rimo911s

mrplow, I can confirm that all my software is up to date and I have asked i-Spy360 for some help - unfortunately they are not Mac users!

Doug, by all means contact i-Spy360 with the feedback about Flash 360 tours - might be some consultancy work for you there!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade Tiger to Leopard | Livemeeting support in 10.6.5 and above? »