New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard Printing to a networked (TCP/IP) printer - doesn't actually print

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScottBurton

ScottBurton is on a distinguished road

I have in the office I work in an iMac with snow leopard, which can see the Sharp multifunction printer on the network.

It will send print jobs to the printer, and watching the spool, it seems to go through (I'm going on memory atm)
connecting to the printer
data file accepted
displaying a job number
then eventually the job disappears from the spool.

Going to the printer, the job appears to have never arrived.

The printer will accept print jobs from the PCs on the network just fine.

Even sending a test page from the iMac gets the same results. Looks good on the Mac end, but the printer never appears to have seen the job.

I'm an IT guy from the PC side, and this is the one mac in the office. So I'm not sure where to go from here. Any insights would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

When installing the printer on the iMac does the printer display in the default add printer view (implying that the printer supports bonjour)? Or are you specifying the port via IPP or LPR?

Does the driver get auto detected or are you manually selecting the driver?

Does the printer have any add-on print server attached? Or does the network cable plug directly into the onboard NIC of the printer?

What model is the printer?
QUOTE Thanks
Ruckus

Ruckus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 5, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD

I am having the exact same problem. We have a brand new Sharp MX-3110N multifunction printer/scanner/copier. All of our Dell laptops can print to it no problem. All the Macs in the office see the printer, send jobs to it, and report no errors. When we walk down the hall to the printer...nothing. Its as if nothing was ever sent to it, nothing in the job status window on the printer. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Sharp's website, and there are no errors that I can see on the Macs. It is printing using a TCP/IP protocol and the ethernet cable plugs directly from the wall to the printer.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Just as MacsWork was trying to get at before, we need the details to help you better - like - which TCP/IP protocol?

That printer supports postscript 3 as a paid option - most windows-only shops wouldn't bother spending the $900. But the standard included/downloadable driver for OS X is a postscript driver. Easy to get around - the printer supports PCL 6 and there's a generic HP PCL 6 driver in OS X.

The easiest TCP/IP protocol for OS X is found in the Add printer dialogs as IP printing > HP Jetdirect. Use that to set up and try printing.
QUOTE Thanks
Ruckus

Ruckus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 5, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD

Thank you! That solved the problem of not being able to print at all. Now we just can't print in color, but b&w is better than nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Printing in color requires a different driver and a some .ppd file editing. If you want to try it let me know and I'll try to help. But I don't have that printer and I've never done the edits...

You should search Apple's discussions for Matt Broughton - I know he knows how to do that for sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't get to app/downloads files | Safari Question »