New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

System extension cannot be used

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrqib

mrqib is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, Processor Speed: 2 GHz, Memory:2 GB, Bus Speed:800 MHz

Hey guys

For some reason I'm getting this message

SYSTEM EXTENSIONS CANNOT BE USED

the system extension "/usr/local/vscanx/extensions/virex.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

Now i don't think i installed an application file, so i got no idea where this is coming from

Another thing i have noticed was i cannot empty my trash? are these two related?
And how do i get rid of this?

all advice would be appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Have you got McAffee installed at all?

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
mrqib

Mac Specs: Mac7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, Processor Speed: 2 GHz, Memory:2 GB, Bus Speed:800 MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Have you got McAffee installed at all?

- Simon
No i haven't
Where did this come from and how do i get rid of it?

qib
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

It is part of a virus scanner, program you may have installed. Have you installed any antivirus software? If so then you can uninstall it no problems.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
mrqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
It is part of a virus scanner, program you may have installed. Have you installed any antivirus software? If so then you can uninstall it no problems.

- Simon
Hey simon

thanks for the help

As far as i know i haven't installed any virus scanner, i have no idea where this has come from

I did use a new USB today, would that have caused it?

also i was going through a few discussion boards and came across this solution

.kext file installed improperly and cannot be used
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 2:03 PM

If you see this error, after an update or rebuild of your system....

The system extension "/System/Library/Extentions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

Check to confirm the permissions on the kext file and all of the files inside.

1. open hard drive > System > Library > Extensions
2. Find the extension in question
3. Right click on the kext file > Show Package Contents
4. Change permissions
Owner = System (read/write)
Group = wheel (read only)
Guest = (read only)
5. repeat and confirm for ALL files within the Package Contents (try using 'apply privis to enclosed')

"kext" means kernel extension; similar to "extensions" in OS 9.

now the thing is, i can't find that file

What should i do?

Qib
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sure sounds like the computer has had Virex or some other antivirus software installed at some point, maybe before you got it? AV software must be removed using an uninstaller usually available from the manufacturer's web site. Otherwise little pieces are left behind, which is perhaps what you may be seeing.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen resolution setting options vanished after P-Ram zap! | USB flash drive showing half full »