New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

FAQ: Archive and Install

Thread Closed

MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Archive and Install Feature in Mac OS X

About
Archive and Install moves existing system files to a folder named Previous System and then installs Mac OS X again. You cannot start up your computer using the Previous System folder.

You may also elect to preserve your user and network settings during the installation. This option automatically imports existing users, Home directories, and network settings. This means it also skips the Setup Assistant after installation.

System Requirements
  • Installation CD for Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar) and higher
  • If Mac OS X is not already present, you cannot select Archive and Install

Procedure
1. Start up from your Mac OS X 10.2 Install Disc 1.
2. Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.
3. Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
4. After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.
5. After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
6. An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.
7. Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
8. Select Archive and Install.
9. Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
10. You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings.
11. Click OK.
12. Click Continue to begin the installation.

Other Notes
My reccomendation is to use Carbon Copy Cloner if you have the space. This will make a copy of your current system and you can save it as a diskimage that you can revert back to if you have problems after the installation. To do this, start up from the install disk and under Disk Utility you can select to reformat a drive using a disk image.

Ciphex

true you can keep your previous settings. but i usually don't unless they are ESSENTIAL.

I find it a good way to weed out all the junk that has built up over time.

Who knows how many extra processes (preference panes, daemons etc) may be coming on at startup that you don't need.

The totally clean install will always run faster... especially after you launch you popular apps for the first time and your prebindings are in good shape.

~John
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Yeah I totally agree. I just reinstalled today, because I had way too much stuff built up in my various directories. I was going to Archive and Install but I realized it would just copy my home folder, which was filled with junk.

Still, this is a good feature for newbies who just wanna reinstall and not lose anything.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
Ovation

Will this "Archive and Install" procedure fix a problem called "invalid key length"? BTW, I have no idea what that means. My Powerbook G4 has not properly started since my wife did an improper shutdown last night. The gray screen with the Apple symbol appears, with the circular "gear" beneath it. It turns far longer than usual, eventually gets to the white rectangle with MAC OS X and a blue "startup" bar beneath it. This bar lengthens (more slowly than usual) and gets hung up at "Waiting for application services".

Mods, if I've posted to the wrong place, sorry. Please move it to wherever it should be.
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation
Will this "Archive and Install" procedure fix a problem called "invalid key length"? BTW, I have no idea what that means. My Powerbook G4 has not properly started since my wife did an improper shutdown last night. The gray screen with the Apple symbol appears, with the circular "gear" beneath it. It turns far longer than usual, eventually gets to the white rectangle with MAC OS X and a blue "startup" bar beneath it. This bar lengthens (more slowly than usual) and gets hung up at "Waiting for application services".

Mods, if I've posted to the wrong place, sorry. Please move it to wherever it should be.
have you triedrepairing permissions or resetting the pram?
as far as archive and install, I usually just do an erase and install.
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5284

Try out number 2. If you can't get that to load try booting off of your OS X disc by holding down C and entering disk utility from there and repairing the disk

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5284

Try out number 2. If you can't get that to load try booting off of your OS X disc by holding down C and entering disk utility from there and repairing the disk
question on fsck, do I include spaces when typing in /sbin/fsck -f, like between the k and the "-"?
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

yes that is the only space there. All that that does is do a repair disk like you would if you booted off the disk and used disk utility but doesn't require the startup CD

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
Ovation

I have tried both the disk utility and the fsck procedure. Neither of them solved the issue.

Would an archive and install be likely to fix this problem? I just learned that if I don't leave my machine on 24hrs a day, I might have problems as well? Could that be the cause (can be cured by something called MacJanitor?)?

I'm really new to this kind of problem as I've had my Mac for almost two years with no problems. I'm far more used to solving PC problems (as they are so frequent).
BilduKat

I always try to upgrade my hard drive when I do a major OS upgrade.
This way I get a fresh install and then migrate my "stuff" to the new drive.
..and as luck will have it, migrating will be really easy with Tiger.
A few reports I have read say that the migrator works really well.
crg23

crg23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PB G4

Wait so will this save all my programs and documents and everything?
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Correct. But for safety measures, you'll definitely want to back up all the files that are important to you.
crg23

^How would I do that if I can't boot up Mac OS X at all? I can only boot off the install DVD.

Thanks so much for your help. REALLY appreciate it.
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Here you go: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120
crg23

Oh sorry, I meant how would I back up the files. I know how to get to the archive and install bit, I just would really like to make sure its backed up. I also have several hundred dollars worth of software that may be hard to install again, as I lost some of the codes and CD's for it. Also I have 3500 songs that I don't have the source CD's for.

So any ideas on backing up? I have a FW harddrive if that helps.

Thread Closed

« Java won't run | problems with mac osx tiger.... »