New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

FAQ: Archive and Install

Thread Closed

javarulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
Archive and Install Feature in Mac OS X

About
Archive and Install moves existing system files to a folder named Previous System and then installs Mac OS X again. You cannot start up your computer using the Previous System folder.
Hi,

I have successfully archived and re-installed OS X on my machine. The "Previous System" folder was created and is eating into my disk space.

Can I simply delete it wihtout bothering about any live links to the active OS installation? What problems do you foresee?

Regards,
Varun
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

None, the previous system is basically just a precaution, in case you notice anything missing / broken on your new system installation...
javarulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
None, the previous system is basically just a precaution, in case you notice anything missing / broken on your new system installation...
Thanks. 8 GB free now
synthemesc

synthemesc is on a distinguished road

i really should read the stickies before i post =/

i recently did this because my system crashed... kinda. i now have the previous system on my HD but whenever i try to open it i get this message..."no mountable file systems." anyone know why its doing? there are some files i really really need to get so if it is at all possible to get them please tell me!
TiltedKilt

TiltedKilt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD - 30GB iPod Video

Just for confirmation...and sorry if this is a bit slow of me but...

If i do an Archive and Install and boot up from the Install CD's will all the files held (e.g photos/videos and music in iTunes) be kept? Can I then copy over these once the new install is complete and then just delete the old archived file?
immason

immason is on a distinguished road

For some reason I can't get a grasp of what the Archive and Install option actually preserves. If I choose this option, and reinstall Tiger, will my, say, iTunes Music folder be preserved? Or random folders that are on my desktop?
I've been using Macs my whole computing life, so I feel a little odd asking such a basic question, but I've got no accessible way to back up my files at this time, and I don't want to make a stupid mistake I'll soon regret.
Thanks!
unplugged

unplugged will become famous soon enough

I always do a clean install when going from one OS to another, or if I have to just re-install the same version. I can always redo my preferences again.

MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz, 2GB, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.10
http://web.mac.com/mhadjar/
ringterlit

ringterlit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" G5 2.1, iMac 24" Alum 2.8, iBook G4 1g

Ok if I do a full backup (which I do regularly) can I do a clean install and then use migration assistant? Will the assistant copy to the new OS all my programs, photos, music, and network and mail settings?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Reilly
Migraine

Migraine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringterlit View Post
Ok if I do a full backup (which I do regularly) can I do a clean install and then use migration assistant? Will the assistant copy to the new OS all my programs, photos, music, and network and mail settings?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Reilly
I did this and it MOSTLY worked (still testing). My mail, iTunes, Safari, Firefox, Quicken, Address Book, Toast, etc work. I noticed my share connection between my PC and Mac broke on my home network, but it should be easy to fix. I haven't tested all my apps yet but the main ones I use seem to work just fine. However, I plan to do another fresh re-install and manually re-install the apps I need and setting myself. I feel I have too many apps and setting I never use which are taking up space. Since you backed everything up why not test it out yourself, that's what I did. I used Superduper to make a bootable Tiger full backup on my second internal hard drive just in case.
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Do you still need to uninstall plugins and apps such as Httpmail, Application Enhancer and Logitech control center if you use Archive & Install to avoid problems with the new install or do you need to do that only with the upgrade option?
Harriet

Harriet is on a distinguished road

hey guys
so if i archive and reinstall the osx do i loose anything? should i make a back up?
what is the archive good for?

i cant find iphoto on my mac so i guess the best thin to do is archive and reinstall right?
but what about all the other programs (freeware) that i've downloaded ? will i loose them?
cDaddy84

cDaddy84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB

EDIT: Nevermind
whitehawk

whitehawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by immason View Post
For some reason I can't get a grasp of what the Archive and Install option actually preserves. If I choose this option, and reinstall Tiger, will my, say, iTunes Music folder be preserved? Or random folders that are on my desktop?
I've been using Macs my whole computing life, so I feel a little odd asking such a basic question, but I've got no accessible way to back up my files at this time, and I don't want to make a stupid mistake I'll soon regret.
Thanks!
I'm wondering the same thing - especially in regard to the "random folders that are on my desktop". I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, and my MBP won't boot up anymore. Disc Utility cannot verify or repair the disk, so I've been told to to an archive and install option. I need to know if the folders from the desktop will be archived as well, or if I need to have someone do an expensive backup before reinstalling...
asamimasa

asamimasa is on a distinguished road

hi all,
i recently got a g5 from my cousin who didnt need it anymore, but the drive was completely wiped, and i cant get past the gray ?folder screen after putting the installation dvd even after holding down c. is there another button i should hold down, or is there just something wrong with teh hardware?
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this the DVD that originally came with the G5? Is this a Power Mac G5 Tower or iMac G5 with flat panel monitor built in?

Thread Closed

« Java won't run | problems with mac osx tiger.... »