New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Bootcamp Refuses To Create Partition After Time Machine Restore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p0ssumman

p0ssumman is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I recently tried to partition the hard drive of my iMac (3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, running 10.6.6) using Bootcamp (Unsure of version but i'm assuming its up to date) and was met with the message telling me some items could not be moved, I then reformatted my HD (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and restored with time machine with hope that this would fix the problem, now Bootcamp refuses to even start up and gives me the message "You must update your system software before using this setup assistant".

I've run software update countless times and have downloaded everything its asked me to, but still no luck with bootcamp. I've read around and havn't been able to find an answer on this or any other forum, journaling is on (i'm assuming as the option in disk utility is greyed out and it tells me the format is journaled) and I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how to solve this v annoying problem.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

is your OS from the backup 10.6.6? im assuming so.

also, right click on bootcamp assistant and find out the version number of the software.

it should be 3.something.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
"You must update your system software before using this setup assistant".
Did you run software update before you ran the TM restore? Do that first and try again, let's see if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
p0ssumman

p0ssumman is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's an update: I ran software update and tried the same process again, inserted snow leopard cd, erased HD, reformatted (os X journalled) and restored using my TM backup, i've run software update again, however now when i try and run bootcamp the message i get is:

"the startup disc cant be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The statup disc must be formatted as a single mac osx extended (journaled) volume or already partitoned by boot camp assistant for installing windows"

Is this progress?? :S
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« deleting software/downloads | Can I change the default wallpaper in the connected TV? »