New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

upgrade from os 10.3 to snow leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

noletles

noletles is on a distinguished road

i have just bought an imac 20" intel core 2 duo with os 10.311 and want to upgrade to snow leopard,how do i go about this???:
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noletles View Post
i have just bought an imac 20" intel core 2 duo with os 10.311 and want to upgrade to snow leopard,how do i go about this???:
Buy a 10.6 "Snow Leopard" install disk, boot from it, and follow the onscreen instructions.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
noletles

so i dont have to istall any other system first????.
have been told that i need to upgrade to leopard first.
apple want to charge £85 for leopard just so i can then buy snow leopard for another £25.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

You don't have to buy Leopard first. Surely Apple didn't tell you that you had to?

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkWorld View Post
You don't have to buy Leopard first. Surely Apple didn't tell you that you had to?

Oh I bet they did. This is normal. It's frowned upon to not upgrade to every OS, and SL was sold as an upgrade disc, even though it has the full OS on the disc.
After all, how often can you buy a completely new OS for $29?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

That's terrible! I understand they want you to upgrade to every OS, but that still just seems... Bad to me. Bad Apple!!

QUOTE Thanks
noletles

wouldnt mind but i would never use leopard again and would have spent £85 to use it for 1/2 an hour.
so i just need to buy snow leopard and install on hard drive after deleting os x????
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

Yep! Snow Leopard is all you need Just buy it, pop it in, and follow the instructions If you need any help, or are worried about it at all, just pop on here and ask

QUOTE Thanks
noletles

thats brilliant,thanks for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

No problem!!

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Just be aware there is a good chance not all your Panther applications will work with Snow Leopard. That is a very big jump.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

it seems to me that leopard and snow leopard are almost the same, except that snow leopard is optimized for the intel processors.... i have tiger on my tibook, leopard on my g4 ibook and snow leopard on my 2010 mac mini. i noticed differences between tiger and leopard, but not so much between leopard and snow leopard but again maybe its me...
QUOTE Thanks
noletles

i have just bought the imac and it had a fresh install of os 10.3 so not bothered about applications but thanks for advice
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Uhh, guys?

There is no Mac that ever ran 10.3 that will also run 10.6.

10.3 was a PowerPC only release. If you're running 10.3, you have a PowerPC Mac.
10.6 is an Intel only release. You cannot run it on any PowerPC Mac.

No way.

Someone is confused about what they have and should find out for sure before spending any money.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Uhh, guys?

There is no Mac that ever ran 10.3 that will also run 10.6.
Yeah...you know I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread...but I trusting the OP to be passing along correct info.

I did double check this morning...and 10.4.4 was the oldest OS to ship with an Intel Mac.

Great catch "Technologist"!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software updates will not install | Kernel panic troubleshooting advice »