Specs:
    2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Can somebody tell me what is going on here?..

I'm starting to lose faith in Apple due to problems with my i-mac. Can someone tell me what is going on???

To start off this is the second time in two weeks i've had to reinstall snow leopard, the first time I lost everything (all my music from not using the time machine and backing it up).

Out of the blue one morning I turned it on and all I got for the 4 hours was the the white screen with apple symbol and the little turning symbol.. turning, turning, thinking, thinking... But it didn't boot??

I looked up the diagnosis problems on google and in these forums from my i-phone.

1. I disconnected all USB items and held my finger on power button to restart again... Still was thinking, thinking for two hours and nothing.

2. I booted from the install disk, ran repair in utilities, repaired restarted, still no boot. It was thinking, thinking for three hours.

3. By the end of it I was peed and just wiped the hard drive again and reinstalled snowy again.

What is causing this? I don't visit unknown sites, I shutdown and look after it properly... Is it the heat lately as we have had some 40 degree days here in Sydney.

If some-one has a solution as to why it wont boot on startup I would greatly appreciate it, as i'm a graphic designer and I cant afford to keep wasting my time reformatting every week.

The system is the older model, Dual Intel processor i-mac, 250 gig, 2 MB of ram upgraded to snow leopard. 10.6.

Has been in my ownership for 6 months will be lucky to reach 12 at this rate.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    If your machine boots properly from the DVD drive when you reinstalled the system software I suspect that there may be an issue with the hard drive.I've gotten that screen for a bit longer than usual after installing something new but never that long. Did it also do the extended period of "thinking" right after you reinstalled the software?
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    choonk ordrar

No after a reinstall of the software it restarts and boots fine from the power up, same as last time it will work how it should for a couple of weeks than lose its mind and think hard about booting.

It maybe the hard drive like you said?

Hope not...

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Sure sounds like failing hard drive. Download a little utility called SMARTReporter, version 2.5.6 and let it monitor the drive.

corecode->SMARTReporter

Better the hard drive than a logic board!
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:

Sure, thanks for the help.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    I agree the HD is most likely to blame here. Not really any other reason I can think of either.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo19801 View Post
    What is causing this? I don't visit unknown sites, I shutdown and look after it properly... Is it the heat lately as we have had some 40 degree days here in Sydney.
    Not the heat mate as i live a few k's down the road and my MBP is aye ok !!!!!

Has been in my ownership for 6 months will be lucky to reach 12 at this rate.
    Have faith. Take it into the Bondi store get them to check it over and jump in the ocean for a swim and cool down a bit

I agree on the HD as well. As i said have faith as this could happen to any PC you own .......

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:

hahaha im chilled now, just annoying when you lose 80gig of music>My fault for not backing it up.

Yeah Bondi will do mate.

They are the best, never ever go back to windows again...

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    HAHA good to hear mate.
    It would be annoying to lose 80gb music but if you need a good back up strategy, Mcbie has written a well thought out sticky that might come in handy too you

Backup, backup, backup.

Windows ?? what, why, how and when lol

I know what ya mean there . . . . Post back once you have taken it in to the boys/girls @ Bondi and let us know the results

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

The system is the older model,
    There you go; self-diagnosed. They wear out.

Specs:
    2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
    I have a question for the panel about this. as a long time PC Tech. I have seen this also be ram that can cause this. sounds like the files are getting corrupt in some way. Just my two cents. But I would agree most likely the hard drive, The cash on the drive per say could be the culprit in corrupting the files.
    Old time Computer Hardware Tech
    Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Cash? Must be a Windows Tech! Wonder if he means cache?
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Cash? Must be a Windows Tech! Wonder if he means cache?
    Counterfeit Cache?

Thread Information