New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacIntosh (OS X) Data Recovery Options

Thread Closed

Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

There are several programs available that will recover lost files on your Macintosh:

Data Rescue ($99)
Mac Data Recovery, Hard Disk Data Recovery Software, Windows Data Recovery - Prosofteng.com
(I recommend this one)

Stellar Phoenix Macintosh ($99)
Mac Recovery Software- Recover Mac Drive- Apple Mac Data Recovery- Data Recovery Mac

FileSalvage*($80)
SubRosaSoft.com - Data Recovery for Mac OS X

VirtualLab*($100/$150/$250)
https://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/mac.html

Boomerang ($200)
Boomerang Data Recovery Software - MacOS X Version
Boomerang Data Recovery Software for Windows and Mac OS X

Remo Recover ($69)
Photo Recovery Mac & Digital Media Recovery Software for Mac OS X - Recover Photos, Picture, Images

If you want something that is free, there is this UNIX command line program, if you are handy with OS X's Terminal:

testdisk*
TestDisk - CGSecurity

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Great info.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
Mulder

Mulder is on a distinguished road

so, textdisk blew My Mind, sounds like exactly what i need but it's way over My head.....
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

I should add that all of the data recovery experts that I have ever spoken to strongly recommend against using any of these data recovery programs. They suggest that they might make it impossible for them to recover your data if you end up needing to take your hard drive to a recovery service.

I'm also told that these programs vary very greatly in quality. I won't pass on any potentially libelous statements about any of these products, but I can tell you that ProSoft's Data Rescue is very highly regarded by just about everyone who has reviewed/tried it. e.g.
Data Rescue 3 Product Information | Macworld
Prosoft Data Rescue 3 | Mac|Life
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Data Rescue 3
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Great info indeed.
Of coarse the best option is prevention, by means of being vigilant in keeping backups.
Backups, Backups, Backups.
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Great info indeed.
Of coarse the best option is prevention, by means of being vigilant in keeping backups.
Backups, Backups, Backups.
Might not be a bad idea to merge these posts right into that very same thread.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I should add that all of the data recovery experts that I have ever spoken to strongly recommend against using any of these data recovery programs. They suggest that they might make it impossible for them to recover your data if you end up needing to take your hard drive to a recovery service.
I'm curious as to why it would matter? Most folks are naturally going to try recovering data themselves first before sending a drive to an expensive data recovery service. Of course if you're running a business and your critical data was just lost and by losing it you're also losing money, then a data recovery service makes sense.

BTW, the open source recovery program looks interesting. I might give it a try on some test data with an old disk I have.
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I just read about a new one called Disk Drill. TAW has a review of it and it looks intriguing.
Disk Drill protects your Mac disks, recovers files
Randy B. Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm curious as to why it would matter? Most folks are naturally going to try recovering data themselves first before sending a drive to an expensive data recovery service.
I don't know. I could ask someone, if you like.

I can only guess that using one of these programs increases the likelihood of overwriting the lost data. The folks at DriveSavers (who, admittedly, I don't get along with terribly well these days) are even very negative about using something like Disk Warrior on a drive which might require data recovery services.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
I can only guess that using one of these programs increases the likelihood of overwriting the lost data. The folks at DriveSavers (who, admittedly, I don't get along with terribly well these days) are even very negative about using something like Disk Warrior on a drive which might require data recovery services.
Their negativity could also be rooted in fear of losing a client if Disk Warrior gets the job done.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Their negativity could also be rooted in fear of losing a client if Disk Warrior gets the job done.
I tend to agree. I'm not familiar with how most data recovery software operates, but I know one of things they try to avoid is overwriting user data. As a matter of fact the standard warning issued by most data recovery software publishers is to cease using the drive for fear of doing just that.

Thread Closed

« Software Update won't connect to Software Update Server | Safari browser version for MAC 10.5.7 to play *.m3u8 files.. »