New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Which O/S can I install?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cobra1337

Cobra1337 is on a distinguished road

Hello ALL!,

I am new to the forums so if I neglect any rules, please let me know. I am repairing an iMac A1208 and I was trying to install OSX (Snow Leopard), and during installation it said that the Operating System could not be installed. I'm assuming because the machine is older.

Anyway, I was wondering what the latest operating system that I could install as well as which you would recommend?? I understand that OS 9 was the original O/S that came with the machine.

Please advise

Thank you,

Cobra
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Model A1208 sure can handle Snow Leopard:-

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 17-Inch Specs (Late 2006, MA590LL, iMac5,1, A1208, 2114) @ EveryMac.com

If you are talking OS 9 it sure is not that model as the original G3's back in the lates nineties and 2000 used OS 9. Model numbers can be confusing, better if you can post the processor details.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Cobra1337

Okay, then I assume the reason is because I am using my own Snow Leopard disk from my macbook pro. So, you're sure Snow Leopard will work?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1337 View Post
Okay, then I assume the reason is because I am using my own Snow Leopard disk from my macbook pro. So, you're sure Snow Leopard will work?
Absolutely Snow Leopard will work. And yes you are correct...your MBP disks won't work. Head to the Apple Store for a $29 10.6 disc.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Cobra1337

Okay, sounds good. Now, how can I get this disk out of this thing!?! I'm holding EJECT and it won't eject.

I just installed a new hard drive on it so it keeps trying to install the O/S.

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I got it! Thanks guys. You've been a great help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Customizing and playing Around | Re-Installed OSX & Disk Space Used Was Huge! »