New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Could Erratic Mouse be Trojan related?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harryhey

harryhey is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My mouse has been acting erratically. The cursor will move around on its own and its also very difficult to control. This happens sporadically, not all the time. I know there are very few Trojans on the Mac but could I have possibly downloaded some kind of "Drunk Mouse" app? I have downloaded some BitTorrents recently.

Also the "right click" action of the mouse no longer seems to be working. I am using the mouse pad beneath the keyboard, not an external mouse.

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance!!
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

What kind of mouse are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
harryhey

Hi, as I said, it's the standard, flat mouse pad that's beneath the keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No trojan. Your trackpad is probably acting up or possibly dirty beneath the flat area. Depends a lot on how oily your skin is. I know of people who have completely worn down key tops and destroyed their trackpads because of oil on their skin (fingers). The newer glass trackpads are less likely to fail because of this.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just fyi: That's called a "trackpad", it's not a mouse at all. The thing that moves around on the screen is called the cursor.

No, it's not a trojan.

and chscag beat me to it - I'm watching Criminal Minds reruns.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nicecrew

nicecrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp

The symptoms of the trojan virus do not include what you are experiencing.
The only one it may have been was keystroke logging... but that sure cannot be it from your description. Like the above posters said, just your usual trackpad fidgeting. If its bothering you, I would suggest purchasing a cheap USB mouse and mouse pad to prevent fidgety movements. Although magic mouses are more top end and more mac friendly.
Hope this helps!
nicecrew

[SIZE="2"] Macbook ownwer (3,1) Macbook Pro owner Ipod nano owner HP Pavililion owner
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Chscag is likely correct. Use a VERY mild soap and warm water only, first. Don't soak it of course, just make the cloth damp. Just sounds like it needs a thorough cleaning. Just make sure it dries properly when done.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Quote:
The cursor will move around on its own
Quote:
just your usual trackpad fidgeting
Er, No!

When exactly does this tend to happen? Using which applications? What have you installed recently? Have a look in the Trackpad section of System Preferences to make sure the settings are as you want them to be.
QUOTE Thanks
harryhey

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I've done so far.

I cleaned the trackpad w/ mild soap and water but that didn't help.
I changed my trackpad settings in preferences to no effect.
It's now so bad that I can't even single click on things to trigger events.

I am now using an external mouse and that seems to be working fine but the trackpad mystery continues.

I ran "lsof" and sent my log files to someone that is taking a gander to see if anything's amiss.

Cheers again for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

After doing all that and it's still acting up, I would say your trackpad is failing. You can change it out if you wish, but it's not an easy task. Have your model year on hand and go to iFixit: The free repair manual. Look up the instructions for changing it. They also sell the parts.
QUOTE Thanks
nicecrew

nicecrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp

Just wondering, why did you wash your trackpad with soap and water?
Hope it gets fixed soon!
nicecrew

[SIZE="2"] Macbook ownwer (3,1) Macbook Pro owner Ipod nano owner HP Pavililion owner
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Lots of folks have reported an identical sounding problem, and it can be traced to accidently dragging one of your fingers over the trackpad.

Apple has added software to their latest laptops to help filter this out.

See here for suggestions on how to remedy the problem:
Portables and Magic Trackpad: Jumpy or Erratic Trackpad Operation

Try this:
Open System Preferences (under the Apple menu) and select the Trackpad pane and then check "Ignore accidental trackpad input" and you should be OK.

This third-party utility claims to do the same thing (as well as provide other nice additional features):

SideTrack ($15)
Thank you for downloading Sidetrack from Download.com

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Kev Db is on a distinguished road

I had this issue, cleaning the trackpad worked perfectly. That was indeed a good suggestion
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading from OSX 10.5.8 | Unwanted updates »