New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Panther's on it's way!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Well, I just ordered my copy tonight. I had decided to pick it up at the Night of Panther (even though I had some reservations a while back about buying it in its initial release version), but we very disappointed to learn that no Educational pricing was being offered at the stores. So I ordered online tonight, and hopefully it will arive late this week.

Now I need to decide whether I want to do a complete wipe, or install over Jaguar. I'm still a little confused about the process. If I do decide to do a clean wipe and install, how will I go about re-installing the software that came with my iBook (Appleworks, Quicken, World Book, etc.)?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Stoomie

u might want to upgrade over jaguar. I did both, first an upgrade and later just a clean swipe. upgrade is better because a clean install removes little things ur computer came with that u never tripped off the fact that they were important but now theyre gone. now, if u dont care about that kinda stuff then yah just do it clean, make sure u back up ur important stuff
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoomie
u might want to upgrade over jaguar. I did both, first an upgrade and later just a clean swipe. upgrade is better because a clean install removes little things ur computer came with that u never tripped off the fact that they were important but now theyre gone. now, if u dont care about that kinda stuff then yah just do it clean, make sure u back up ur important stuff
What sort of "little things" are missing?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Stoomie

heh I explained it wrong I think. Ill just tell you what happened to me. I upgraded from jaguar and everything was fine, except something went wrong with my safari, so I had to do a clean swipe. when I did it, I discovered iDVD did not install, nor did things that came with my computer such as appleworks, developer tools, some games, some utilities and free trials of stuff. they werent really that important but I felt like I was "robbed" of things, heh. fortunately I had the original disc that came with my comp that installs iDVD and developer tools and oter goodies that came with my comp but still I feel like wierd a bout losing the stuff. I d unno if that helps you very much
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Yeah, this is an upgrade. You can still do the Software Restore and get all of your old stuff back. You're machine should have come with Software Restore CD's.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Create Start-up CD for Panther? | Afraid to UPGRADE! »