New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stkflote

stkflote is on a distinguished road

hello im on a I Mac running OS X Leopard my Applications folder has
disappeared off my dock,,i didnt notice till i went to repair permissions and then could not find the disc utility,
i would be most grateful for some help,

thankyou
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkflote View Post
hello im on a I Mac running OS X Leopard my Applications folder has
disappeared off my dock,,i didnt notice till i went to repair permissions and then could not find the disc utility,
i would be most grateful for some help,

thankyou
Just go to your:

- hard drive icon & double click on it
- click on your Applications folder icon & drag it to the dock.
- a new "Applications" folder icon will appear in your dock

Problem solved.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
stkflote

hello,Nick, thanks for reply
tried that harddrive ico does nothing when i double click it does not show applications, i dont know what ive done to lose the app icon

keith
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hello,Nick, thanks for reply
tried that harddrive ico does nothing when i double click it does not show applications, i dont know what ive done to lose the app icon

keith
Keith,

Usually when you "double click" on your hard drives icon (usually on your desktop) a window opens up...and usually...a folder named "Applications" is located in the window somewhere. If it's not there...then it may have:

- been moved inside of another folder by accident
- been moved to the desktop by accident
- been deleted by accident (let's hope not!)

If you can't find your "Applications" folder...go to the little "magnifying glass" icon in the upper right corner of your computers display (this is the application "Spotlight")...and enter "Applications" into the search field. This should help you find your "Applications" folder on your hard drive.

Hopefully you will find it...and return it to it's "normal" location. You should then be able to do what I mentioned above to get the "Applications" folder icon back in your dock.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
stkflote

hello nick, i can find apps in finder but its just the wording ,same in spotlight,but unable to get it on to my desktop,
,ive got applications in dock but with adobe logo in red application icon should be blue but one in dock will not open anything keith
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hello nick, i can find apps in finder but its just the wording ,same in spotlight,but unable to get it on to my desktop,
,ive got applications in dock but with adobe logo in red application icon should be blue but one in dock will not open anything keith
Have you checked the "trash"?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

When you open any Finder window, is Applications listed in the Sidebar?
QUOTE Thanks
stkflote

yes i have check trash ,but unfortunately i emptied trash a couple days ago,
i might have to take it to shop,i tried to my OS X disc but it wont reinstall,
because its already in, sorry to be a pest
keith
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
yes i have check trash ,but unfortunately i emptied trash a couple days ago,
i might have to take it to shop,i tried to my OS X disc but it wont reinstall,
because its already in, sorry to be a pest
keith
Keith,

If you really cannot find your "Applications" folder (using "Spotlight or just "fishing" around with the mouse)...then it's possible that it might have been trashed. And if the Applications folder is not in the trash...then you must have emptied the trash as well.

As I hope you know...the "Applications" folder contains both programs installed when the Mac OS is installed...as well as applications that you may have purchased separately...such as Microsoft Office, Adobe applications, games, etc.

If you "take it to the shop"...they're really not going to be able to do a whole lot...other than maybe:

- try to search your computer again to see if the Applications folder is there somewhere
- maybe they will reinstall the OS for you (which will install a new Applications folder...with the Applications that come with a Mac OS install)
- they won't be able to install any of the applications you may have installed separately (you have to do this with the original CD's/DVD's)

Basically to get yourself back to "square one" (if your Applications Folder is really gone) is:

- reinstall the Mac OS
- reinstall your other Applications from the original CD's/DVD's

I also hope that none of your data, files, music, photo, etc. files are missing as well...since that is much harder to recover from if you don't have backups.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
stkflote

hi Nick, all my photos are intact and files ive put on,,how do i do a reinstall the mac os i do have all oridginal discs 1 and 2 ,and the osx leopard disc,
thankyou
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hi Nick, all my photos are intact and files ive put on,,how do i do a reinstall the mac os i do have all oridginal discs 1 and 2 ,and the osx leopard disc,
thankyou
First backup any important files (the photos & files you mentioned).

Then:

- insert your OS Install disk
- restart your computer (hold down the "C" key)
- continue holding down the "C" key
- the computer should "boot" from the Mac OS install disk (when it does, you can release the "C" key)
- then just follow the onscreen instructions

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
stkflote

Nick, please forgive me,but is that key the with letter c on it, or cmd, or ctrl.

thankyou, you have been most kind, keith
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Nick, please forgive me,but is that key the with letter c on it, or cmd, or ctrl.

thankyou, you have been most kind, keith
The c key. C as in cat.

If you have the "gray" install disks...it says this on there as well.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
stkflote

yes i do have the grey install disc,and yes you are right it does say hold c key thanks again keith
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
When you open any Finder window, is Applications listed in the Sidebar?
(under Places)

Also, can you open and run any applications (from the Dock, perhaps) that you believe were in the missing Applications folder?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't select external HD in Time Machine | New mac user working with wired ethernet (en0) »