New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I am an idiot or recovering deleted files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dltolar

dltolar is on a distinguished road

I did not see a heading for stupidity, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask my question, and send me in the right direction...

I deleted ALL of my movie files from imovie, most importantly the project I was working on. I could explain how that happened, but I don't believe an excuse will help recover my files. Anywho, within a few minutes - before I realized that I had moved all my movies and data into the trash bin, my mac froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Big mistake, because when I reopened imovie EVERYTHING was gone. Poof! Up in smoke. I've searched online for clues to reverse this, no luck. I opened Time machine (didn't know about this, this is my first mac) but I guess it was set to the default, which is off.

I've tried two file recovery programs, Data Doctor and Stellar Phoenix. They both "hangup" at a certain point and stop. Not far enough to retrieve what I need.

Oh yeah, I also subscribe to Mozy online backup. So far, they've been completely useless. Their restore also "hangsup" and doesn't download any of my requested files. Not to mention it's last backup didn't seem to include my most recent projects.

ANy ideas? Other than I should never be allowed near a computer again?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dltolar View Post
Anywho, within a few minutes - before I realized that I had moved all my movies and data into the trash bin, my mac froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Big mistake, because when I reopened imovie EVERYTHING was gone. Poof! Up in smoke.
If you haven't actually emptied your trash...then the files/data could still be in there. Basically...just because you delete something, doesn't mean that it's gone...it could just be sitting in your trash can.

Apple has multiple layers to prevent this sort of thing from happening by mistake:

- First you send something to the trash can
- Second you have to say "Empty Trash"
- Third you get a confirmation window that asks "Are you sure!"

So you really have to do THREE "stupid things" in a row...before you accidentally get rid of something.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

As pigpoo3 stated open trash and see if they are there then drag them out and open if all is intact move them to their proper location. I would definetely hook an external drive and
set up Time Machine it has saved my butt twice for not paying attention when I send something to the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
...and Stellar Phoenix. They both "hangup" at a certain point and stop. Not far enough to retrieve what I need...
I too have used Stellar Phoenix to recover my own finger-trouble issues... it's performance is, IMO, Stellar -but mind-numbingly SLOW. It strikes me that a lack of patience was at the root of your problem (that was a v.big job you asked to OS to do -it takes time!) as much as a lack of patience again appears to be afflicting your recovery efforts. IT TAKES TIME!!!

The recovery of my images forced me to leave the computer running unattended and processing for well North of 24 hours -it was worth it. It did a beautiful job of finding & recovering my files. Given that you are trying now to recover movies -and more than one- it may take considerably longer than my recovery of a few thousand images.

IT TAKES TIME. You'll need Patience -maybe lots of it.

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
dltolar

dltolar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I did not see a heading for stupidity, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask my question, and send me in the right direction...

I deleted ALL of my movie files from imovie, most importantly the project I was working on. I could explain how that happened, but I don't believe an excuse will help recover my files. Anywho, within a few minutes - before I realized that I had moved all my movies and data into the trash bin, my mac froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Big mistake, because when I reopened imovie EVERYTHING was gone. Poof! Up in smoke. I've searched online for clues to reverse this, no luck. I opened Time machine (didn't know about this, this is my first mac) but I guess it was set to the default, which is off.

I've tried two file recovery programs, Data Doctor and Stellar Phoenix. They both "hangup" at a certain point and stop. Not far enough to retrieve what I need.

Oh yeah, I also subscribe to Mozy online backup. So far, they've been completely useless. Their restore also "hangsup" and doesn't download any of my requested files. Not to mention it's last backup didn't seem to include my most recent projects.

ANy ideas? Other than I should never be allowed near a computer again?
Thank you for the replies...

BTW, I DID look in trash to see if they were there, but when I did the hard reboot before I realized the files had been moved to trash, it apparently emptied the trash for me!

I will allow Stellar a longer time to scan. It seemed stuck at 1% for a couple of hours, but I'll restart the scan and give it the day, see if that works.

I do have a external hard drive for movies and big image files, but I have been in the practice of only putting the finished movie and supporting files in there AFTER I finish editing/publishing.

lessons learned: Always have time machine ON, always make a copy on my ext hd of all raw files and pay attention to what i'm doing!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Quote:
I will allow Stellar a longer time to scan...
Like I said before it may take a VERY long time!!! Be prepared for that -if you want to recover your lost files.

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
BTW, I DID look in trash to see if they were there, but when I did the hard reboot before I realized the files had been moved to trash, it apparently emptied the trash for me!
No, not really. But I've heard complaints that sometimes things that are deleted don't go into the Trash. They're just gone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Install on Macbook Air, Can't find my Wifi :( | Renaming help »