Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Snow Leopard update, I am now uneasy.
    My edition of Snow Leopard arrived about an hour ago. While waiting I found this forum, read several posts about Snow Leopard updates and now am uneasy about installing it.

    My OSX Leopard OS is version 10.5.8. My Mac was Purchased in April 2009. What will happen if I put this new disc in? Yes, I have been updating as the software becomes available.

    Will the applications such as iPhoto, iMovie and iCal run with Snow Leopard?

    I also have Windows XP on it Via Bootcamp but I imagine that the partition will shield it from anything I do with OSX.

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    21,837
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    The applications you mention will run. Suggest you backup your current OS and then run Snow Leopard, updating to OS X.6.6 using the Combo Updater from the Apple web site:-

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  3. #3

    MightyGem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    2,013
    Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    Yes, everything will work, but, do a backup if you can, just incase.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Many thanks for your replies, I will have to wait though because my external back up drive (used with time machine) has died. I note on Harry's post to hang on to my original discs like grim death. Interesting comment but I certainly do with such important software. Again thank you
    Doug

  5. #5

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    21,837
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Well if you keep using the forums, and we sure hope you do, it is amazing the number of folk who have lost, sold, misplaced, damaged, lent or claim never to have received the discs when they purchased their machines, both new and pre-loved!
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  6. #6

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxcat33 View Post
    Many thanks for your replies, I will have to wait though because my external back up drive (used with time machine) has died. I note on Harry's post to hang on to my original discs like grim death. Interesting comment but I certainly do with such important software. Again thank you
    Doug
    And to add to this, make a copy of both the Install DVD's as well and keep them in a safe place. Off site if possible then you will be doubly sure that you will always have them. I just made bootable copy onto a 8GB Flash Drive.
    Peace of mind IMO

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxcat33 View Post
    My edition of Snow Leopard arrived about an hour ago. While waiting I found this forum, read several posts about Snow Leopard updates and now am uneasy about installing it.

    My OSX Leopard OS is version 10.5.8. My Mac was Purchased in April 2009. What will happen if I put this new disc in? Yes, I have been updating as the software becomes available.

    Will the applications such as iPhoto, iMovie and iCal run with Snow Leopard?

    I also have Windows XP on it Via Bootcamp but I imagine that the partition will shield it from anything I do with OSX.

    Thank you.
    Be nervous...be VERY nervous. SL is, just as I had heard from many others, a joke!!

  8. #8

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    In order to take advantage of newer applications sooner or later SL will be a necessity
    and only a few had problems nothing that could not be rectified.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowFoot View Post
    Be nervous...be VERY nervous. SL is, just as I had heard from many others, a joke!!
    Say what?

  10. #10

    Kevriano's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2006
    Location
    Crawley, England
    Posts
    4,558
    Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowFoot View Post
    Be nervous...be VERY nervous. SL is, just as I had heard from many others, a joke!!
    The least helpful thing I have ever read, and COMPLETE nonsense.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

    Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)


  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    SOMEBODY forgot to put down the crack pipe today ...

    Literally tens of millions of people are running Snow Leopard RIGHT NOW, including me.

    No joke.

  12. #12

    McBie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,769
    Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.11
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowFoot View Post
    Be nervous...be VERY nervous. SL is, just as I had heard from many others, a joke!!
    I think you had too much of the wrong ' medication ' last night mate.
    That comment is a load of bull and not helping anyone.

    Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

  13. #13

    Buzzard2010's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2010
    Location
    Bretforton, Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,571
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Quote Originally Posted by McBie View Post
    I think you had too much of the wrong ' medication ' last night mate.
    That comment is a load of bull and not helping anyone.

    Cheers ... McBie
    +1 for that

    - Simon

    If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    SOMEBODY forgot to put down the crack pipe today ...

    Literally tens of millions of people are running Snow Leopard RIGHT NOW, including me.

    No joke.
    Literally tens of millions of people are running VISTA RIGHT NOW too!!

    Brilliant logic!!

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowFoot View Post
    Literally tens of millions of people are running VISTA RIGHT NOW too!!

    Brilliant logic!!
    Yeah? I'm running Vista right now. It's working just fine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Update to Snow Leopard - HELP
    By Jdubbs in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 02:36 AM
  2. VMware Fusion update lets users virtualize Leopard, Snow Leopard (MacWorld)
    By Lifeisabeach in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM
  3. Snow Leopard update
    By MarkMcLean26 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
  4. 10.5.8 Snow Leopard Update...?
    By der_kitty in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
  5. Snow Leopard Update
    By PowerBookG4 in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •