New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Emac 4g - Whats the newest OS install?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac2011

mac2011 is on a distinguished road

Having just recieved my first Mac, an Emac G4 700mhz, 1gb ram 40gb hd, what is the most recent OS I can install on it? Does the 40gb hd hamper which OS I can install or would upping to 80gb make no difference to any os upgrade.

I am not a gamer and simply wish to use the Emac for simple email and internet use.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Newest OS install would be 10.4.11. No...the 40 gig HD does not hamper anything in regards to the OS install.

You could install OS 10.5...but it's not "officially" supported because your eMac's cpu is slower than the the minimum of 867mhz for OS 10.5. Plus OS 10.5 would cost you $100-$125 to purchase.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mac2011

mac2011 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick. I have seen on the net similar models of the Emac with the 10.5 installed, that is what made me ask.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
Thanks Nick. I have seen on the net similar models of the Emac with the 10.5 installed, that is what made me ask.
Yes...10.5 can be "officially" & "unofficially" installed on eMac's. The processor speed in eMac's range from 700mhz to 1.42ghz (6 different models). Officially...you need at least an 867mhz cpu to install 10.5...but using a program called "Leopard Assist":

LeopardAssist | Supported Systems

...you can install 10.5 on slower models.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help PLEASE!!! software isue | Un - Auto Mount Network Drive »