New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Copying system discs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I have a question about copying the gray system discs that come with a Mac. I just bought my daughter a Macbook as an early HS graduation present. When she goes off to college, I would like her to have the restore discs just in case, but would prefer her to have a copy of them (the originals kept in a safe place) just in case she were to lose them. I would also like to make her a backup copy of the iLife '11 disc. Can the disks be copied for backup purposes and what would be the best way to burn a copy?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes they can be copied no problem, I have done all of mine.
I used Toast to do it, which is the easiest way if you have it, but you can d it in Disk Utility too.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Thanks for the quick response. I do have toast on my iMac. Just wanted to make sure it would make bootable copies of the install disc, and that Apple allowed them to be copied for backup.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And a DL capable burner and DL media, DVD+RL DL

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And a DL capable burner and DL media, DVD+RL DL
I didn't think about that. I know the iMac superdrive will do the trick, but I need the right discs. Guess I have to make another trip to BestBuy before I head to NC tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WOW this is a great post as i didnt think it was allowable ........ Ill be backing up my Install disks today onto a 8GB thumb drive.
Put it with my keys and then no matter where i am ill have a bootable OS

Thanks for the thread Chef

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The other method for "backup" gray system disks could be to call Apple...and for somewhere around $15-$20 bucks they'll send you another set.

Folks usually do this when they loose their original gray disks (or didn't get them when they purchased a used computer)...but this would seem to be an ok method to get "backup disks" as well (especially since they can only be used on that particular MacBook model).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Section 2F of the OS X Snow Leopard EULA:
Quote:
You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code and other Apple firmware that is embedded or otherwise contained in Applebranded hardware) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Apple Boot ROM code and firmware is provided only for use on Apple-branded hardware and you may not copy, modify or redistribute the Apple Boot ROM code or firmware, or any portions thereof.
Section 2A of the iLife 09 EULA (they don't seem to have the iLife 11 EULA up) has a similar clause which states that you can make a copy for backup purposes.

Just in case you wanted the "official word".

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Section 2F of the OS X Snow Leopard EULA:
Section 2A of the iLife 09 EULA (they don't seem to have the iLife 11 EULA up) has a similar clause which states that you can make a copy for backup purposes.

Just in case you wanted the "official word".
Thanks for that too. This is her first Mac, so I know she will want to play and experiment, so I want her to have the discs just in case she has to reinstall, but don't want to chance her losing the originals...I know how she is...she needs a GPS to get around the corner.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
Thanks for that too. This is her first Mac, so I know she will want to play and experiment, so I want her to have the discs just in case she has to reinstall, but don't want to chance her losing the originals...I know how she is...she needs a GPS to get around the corner.
If she's like a certain female I know, a GPS doesn't help either.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If she's like a certain female I know, a GPS doesn't help either.
You may be right about that...she is blonde after all...and 17.....'nuff said.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Long boot time sinse deleting free space on macbook air | powerbook g4 problem reading snow leopard dvd »